ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adjustment Layer "Stopper"??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron DeWittAdjustment Layer "Stopper"??
by on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:24:47 pm

I have a pretty simple comp that has several keyed clips and a plain white BG with some noise overlay-ed on top. I'd like to have an adjustment layer with a levels adjustment and a de-noiser (greenscreen clips are pretty noisy), but I would like that adjustment layer to only affect the clips, not my background. I know I could just copy my effects to each clip (which is what I ended up doing) or pre-composing w/ adjustment layer. I guess what I'm asking is if there is any sort of script that would allow me to create a null called "stopper" (or something) and that would cause the adjustment layer to not apply to the layers below that. Or is there a more simple way to accomplish this?? It's not a necessity but it would be a workflow improvement for me.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Adjustment Layer "Stopper"??
by on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:54:20 pm

None that I know-I think the best method is the one you mentioned. Precompose the layers you need to adjust.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Adjustment Layer "Stopper"??
by on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:07:23 pm

Precomps would probably do the trick.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Adjustment Layer "Stopper"??
by on Feb 12, 2013 at 7:41:07 pm

As the others have said, precompose.

Here's a brief explanation of why what you're asking for can't happen:

A lot of people have a subtle but important misunderstanding of how adjustment layers work: They think that an adjustment layer applies the same effect to each layer beneath it. If that were true, then what you're asking for would make sense. But the real way that an adjustment layer works is that it applies effects (and other things) to _the composite_ of all layers under it. In other words, the adjustment layer only sees one image at each time, not a bunch of images at that time.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Aaron DeWittRe: Adjustment Layer "Stopper"??
by on Feb 12, 2013 at 8:25:37 pm

Thanks for the explanation Todd. Very well put and easy to understand.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved