ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Effect using motion- tips would be greatly appreciated

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bur Ci
Effect using motion- tips would be greatly appreciated
on Feb 11, 2013 at 9:53:54 pm

Hello!

So I am working with some footage and the desired affect I want to achieve deals with motion.

I shot footage using a camera slider. With each shot that I took, I made sure that when the scene I needed was captured I used an object to block the shot with the intention of using that object to create continuos slides/cuts into another scene. The object size varied from shot to shot but all in all it was enough to block /end my desired image capture.

Now that I have the footage in front of me, I am at a standstill. I thought that maybe i could key frame animate one shot next to another and stacking them on top of each other so one scene would slide in as the other slide out of frame. However, my results have been very choppy. It was mentioned to me that I might have to look into object tracking, however, I am not sure if that is what I should be looking into.

Overall, I just want to create a cut where all my scenes are interconnected with the slides, as to form a continuos action. I not for a fact that there is a tutorial out there in the interwebz but I just cannot find it. If it helps this tutorial is a scene set in the big apple and a taxi crosses the screen and behind it comes another scene.

I hope this makes sense and any help in the right direction would greatly be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Effect using motion- tips would be greatly appreciated
on Feb 16, 2013 at 8:57:33 am

[Bur Ci] "I thought that maybe i could key frame animate one shot next to another and stacking them on top of each other so one scene would slide in as the other slide out of frame."

This depends somewhat on the objects you used to block the end of the shot and whether they move all the way through the shot or not. I imagine you want to use the objects essentially as a wipe which would require that the blocking object not only enter and block the frame but move off the screen as well.

If that's the case then you should try motion tracking the blocking object.

Start the track while the object is blocking the screen and continue it through as far as you can. Then apply the track to a Null object and then parent a solid to the Null.

You can apply a mask to the solid and use it as a track matte for the clip. The solid may need to be bigger than the frame so that you can have the clip fully visible until the Null starts moving.

You may need to extend the motion of your tracked Null out farther to complete the wipe. In that case you can hand keyframe the last move or try this expression on the Null's position:

loopOut("continue");

This will cause the Null to move at a linear rate based on its last keyframed speed/direction.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]