ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects crash - 'out of memory'

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guy Slator
After Effects crash - 'out of memory'
on Feb 10, 2013 at 1:40:21 pm

Hi,
I'm having a problem with after effects crashing while performing a relatively simple task.

I've tended to use expressions created by others, but have decided to start from scratch and learn for myself. I've bought a fairly basic book and I've got to this expression:

var xPosition = transform.xRotation;
var yPosition = transform.yRotation;
var zPosition = transform.zRotation;
[xPosition, yPosition, zPosition]

so just linking the position of a 3D shape layer to its rotation, but it immediately crashes with a number of different messages:

• After Effects: Out of memory (1150642K requested) (23::40)
  • after effects error: crash in progress. last logged message was <2188> <2> making new context
  • last logged message was <4596> <5> premiere pro.exe
  • the instruction at 0x76d832d0 referenced memory at 0x757405a8. The memory could not be read.

Considering only yesterday I was creating 3D shapes and text using an expression and 40+ layers to build up the effect and then applying lights and a tracking camera, you'd figure it could probably manage the above.

I've tried it with very basic shapes and the problem persists. I've been through and made adjustments to the preferences one at a time, checked my software is updated and have updated my graphics card driver, so I'm not sure what to try next.

I'm using:

• Adobe CS6
  • Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Service Pack 1
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti (2GB)

I appreciate it's not the most powerful rig, but I've been using after effects for a few months now and it's managed plenty of fairly complex jobs. I'm a bit confused as to why this is throwing up a problem.

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: After Effects crash - 'out of memory'
on Feb 11, 2013 at 9:56:01 am

Guy

Do you have Multiprocessing On? If yes then Turn it OFF. May be because of complexity of your scene you are getting this error since you have just 8GB of RAM.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Guy Slator
on Feb 11, 2013 at 2:10:52 pm

Multiprocessing is off, I've been through the relevant preferences and tried testing them one at a time. Having checked everything in terms of hardware at my end I'm beginning to think it's a bug.

The problem only occurs when I link 3 dimensions on the same layer, as in the example I posted above which just links the position dimensions to the rotation dimensions on the same 3D layer.

I've been testing with basic shapes or text and can achieve the same effect by linking the 3 position dimensions to the rotation dimensions of a duplicate layer, but I then also have to link the position of one layer to the other and the same with the rotation, which means using 5 separate expressions on 2 layers, to do the job of one expression on a single layer.

Seems to me if it can do it on 2 layers, it shouldn't be a problem on 1 and as I say I'm only using very basic shapes and text.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:48:02 pm

What book did you get this from and what exactly is the expression trying to accomplish? I just copied your expression and got the same error.

You might want to post this in the expressions forum, there might be something in going from degrees to position(though I'm not sure what?) that is messing up AE. The guys over there are really experienced in the nuances of expressions within AE(and little changes and updates) and might be able to figure this out pretty quickly.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:01:02 pm

John

I applied the above expression and it worked fine in my case.

Check my file:

5423_expressiononposition.zip

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:09:54 pm

My computer crashes the minute I try to open the file. And i know my memory settings are ok.

Stangely, if enter the expression in a CS5 version of AE, it works completely as intended. I'm using CS6 on a Windows 7 machine when it crashes, same as Guy. Vishesh when you made the file, what computer/version of AE were you using?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Guy Slator
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:18:21 pm

The book is 'After Effects Expressions' by Marcus Geduld. The expression itself is really just an exercise in linking dimensions together and setting up variables and keeping the expression tidy, so it's not relevant to anything important.

To be honest the fact that you've run into the same error answers my question; I was worried it was a hardware issue or something in my set up causing the problem.

Thanks for the help, I'll go and check on the expressions forum. I know the book was written using an older version of after effects, so maybe it's something that's an issue with CS6.

Cheers
Guy Slator

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:32:26 pm

Guy

I used the expression in CS6 version and it worked.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:32:57 pm

It's a pretty good book overall. I have a copy and it greatly expanded my knowledge of expressions from just pick-whipping to actually creating them for pretty simple but helpful tasks and automation.

A few times with that book I've discovered that syntax has changed and that will cause errors, though I've never had anything like that happen. Though I did work my way through that book using CS5.

I'll be checking out the expressions forum, cause now I'm totally curious as to the cause of this issue too.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 13, 2013 at 12:11:24 am

FYI:

We've reproduced the crash and are working on a fix.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]