ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects - file render for multiple users

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tali JayAfter effects - file render for multiple users
by on Feb 10, 2013 at 12:38:31 pm

Hi all,

I just wanted to double check that I am using the correct settings/logic for my renders. I have created one HD animation (1920x1080) for 5 different documentaries at 5 different post production houses. I have exported my ae sequence with the animation codec 100% quality, lossless. It's obviously jerky with playback because of the codec (which as I understand is fine, as it will not be jerky in its final export in a NLE system)

Now, I did it like this because I don't know what sequence settings each production house is using for their documentary - so my logic is that I will send them each the same lossless, high quality file, and when they drag it into their sequence it will be rendered to fit their specific sequence settings. My concern is that I obviously do not know every codec, or every editing platform, and is there a chance it won't be conformed to their settings, and when they export everything, my animation will be a mess?

Or, should ask each place their exact settings, take my lossless render, and compress it individually for each of them? (I am loathe to do this - they are not my clients, rather the broadcaster is - and getting any information from them [on time] is like trying to draw water from a stone).

You're expertise is greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: After effects - file render for multiple users
by on Feb 10, 2013 at 10:01:54 pm

Tali

Or, should ask each place their exact settings, take my lossless render, and compress it individually for each of them?

I would always suggest to ask the clients right format to deliver. If in case its difficult to get the right info about codecs then Animation at 100% is a good choice.

Check this article by Todd Kopriva :

What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects?

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Tali JayRe: After effects - file render for multiple users
by on Feb 12, 2013 at 10:00:55 am

Thanks - how could I compress the files while still retaining the alpha channel? I have compressor and media encoder...

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: After effects - file render for multiple users
by on Feb 12, 2013 at 11:48:39 am

Tali

My advice is not to render the files twice. Just render the Final output via AE for final delivery.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: After effects - file render for multiple users
by on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:31:55 pm

Using animation with an alpha channel should cover your bases(It works on both PC/Mac)-any editor worth his salt will be able to take your 1080 and be able to use it in his edit system. Only if you were going overseas with your animation might you have issues. You can ask for individual specs, but in doing so you should tell the houses that your animation does have an alpha channel, so that they don't ask for a codec that doesn't support alpha.

Lastly, make sure you label the file/disk with all the pertinent information, Video Size, Codec and Frame Rate, Total Run Time. When it comes to delivering stuff to others, hope that you are dealing with people who are competent but try to make it as idiot proof as possible just in case.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]