ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Windows or Mac for using AE...........

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian ArtWindows or Mac for using AE...........
by on Feb 10, 2013 at 2:51:20 am

Hi,

I was wondering if everyone has to wait an hour or so just for an intro to a documentary or movie made in after effects to be saved as a .mov or .wmv or .avi that's only a minute or two when watched back in real time?

I'm currently running Windows Vista with 4 gigs of ram and a dual processor. I would think by now that with Windows 8 and all the money Microsoft has that they could create an OS as good as a Mac. Does anyone think that a Win 8 OS is as good as one of Mac's latest OS's? Also what is the most powerful machines out today? Do they have 16 gigs of ram yet do they have dual quad processors for one computer?

I'm also thinking about getting a Mac but is it really worth the extra few thousand for a machine that would hopefully make AE faster for my work flow?

Thanks in advance for any help on the questions above.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Windows or Mac for using AE...........
by on Feb 10, 2013 at 4:44:32 am

Mac OS versus Windows isn't a big deal. Don't get hung up on it. I use both every day.

The tiny amount of RAM that you have is a big deal. 4GB is very little RAM for professional video software. Many people have machines with 48GB or more; one fellow on this forum uses 96GB in one machine. Somewhere around 12-24GB is where most pros settle, it seems.

See this page for information about hardware for Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Brian ArtRe: Windows or Mac for using AE...........
by on Feb 10, 2013 at 7:30:04 pm

Thank you that was very helpful!!!

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Windows or Mac for using AE...........
by on Feb 10, 2013 at 3:16:06 pm

[Brian Art] " Also what is the most powerful machines out today?"

I am running AE on Win 7 on what I think is one of the most powerful computers currently available. Its a HP Z820 with 2 - 2687 CPUs, 64 GB of ram and a GTX -570. This is paired with a very fast raid, Dulce DQg2.

The Adobe Mercury Engine gives me great performance with this system.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2013 at 6:08:14 pm

How much does a system like you have cost with only the Win OS?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2013 at 6:11:06 pm

I got a discount from HP which dropped the price to about $10,000. Since I make my living (for 30 years) using computers to edit with, its was a wise business investment.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2013 at 6:21:21 pm

Wow 10k. I need to hit the super lotto or come up with a great idea.

How long do you think that system will work teh way you would like it to?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2013 at 6:24:21 pm

Wow 10k. I need to hit the super lotto or come up with a great idea.

How long do you think that system will work teh way you would like it to?

Was that a Digital Juice intro? Very Cool!!!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2013 at 6:26:10 pm

I expect that computer to last me quite a while.

No I edited and built all the graphics in the Footloose video myself.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Windows or Mac for using AE...........
by on Feb 11, 2013 at 2:19:30 pm

There's no doubt the HP 820 is a good computer, another alternative is building one yourself or using a company like Puget Systems to build one for you. I ending up building nearly an identical system to an 820(with more flexibility), but for about 25% less through Puget.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2013 at 2:42:23 pm

To be honest, I would never trust or rely on computer I built for business use. Thats because I am an editor, not a computer builder. :D

Puget is a great option, but HP sends a repair person to my house when MB or other major work is needed. This reduces downtime and money loss.

Of course we all have different skills and needs. This just happens to be what works for me.YMMV

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Scott McDonnellRe: Windows or Mac for using AE...........
by on Feb 13, 2013 at 10:21:30 am

Undoubtedly a high spec z820 is a beast of an AFX machine and will both offer performance and reliability.
Just to say that if you are on a budget I can also recommend the custom PC build option. We did a lot of testing of different builds (for our type of projects and renders - no ray tracing) and came up with this spec from UK builder as a good bang for buck option.

Intel Core i7 3930K 6-cored Processor 3.2GHz (Overclocked to up to 4.7GHz)
Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
ASUS P9X79 Pro X79 Motherboard
32GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (4 x 8GB sticks)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2048MB Graphics Card
Samsung 840 120GB Solid State Drive (OS & Apps)
2 x 1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps RAID 0 Configuration
Samsung 840 120GB Solid State Drive (Global Performance Cache)
Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified PSU

We found what made a difference is not running out of RAM, clock speed, and software version! CS6 way outperformed CS5 on the above system.

Return to posts index

Ojan SeyedashrafiRe: Windows or Mac for using AE...........
by on Feb 17, 2013 at 1:23:14 am

Hi
Everyone could talk hours about mac and pc systems and which one is better, I used windows for ten years and I was computer technician for 5 years mostly PC systems but everyone who switches to mac usually do not turn back it's hard to forget how beautiful and easy it is when you use a mac and thats about the design and performance both. But i cant say I never missed windows desktop and the errors too!! but in my experience Adobe softwares are more smooth on mac, about autodesk it's the opposite.
In video and graphic pro field there is history with mac it started and developed with mac so you should consider it but it won't be a costless transition. The best system ever is not Mac Pro not HP820 but Apple is going to announce new release of the Mac Pro so at least wait until then...

O.S.A

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]