ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RED Green Screen Questions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John ReisRED Green Screen Questions
by on Feb 9, 2013 at 11:32:40 pm

Getting ready to do my first RED Green Screen project, just had a few questions, and any further suggestions are welcome

1 Should I get a plug-in for better compositing?

2 Project is for the Web, but are there benefits to shooting 4K when compositing the green screen shots

3 Will fast lateral movement in front of the green screen give me problems

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: RED Green Screen Questions
by on Feb 10, 2013 at 12:44:18 am

[John Reis] "1 Should I get a plug-in for better compositing?"

Keylight, which comes with AE, is an excellent keyer. Don't expect to be able to use it intuitively: look up some Keylight tutorials, and check The Foundry's website for its Keylight training materials. They developed Keylight.
As always, the lighting will determine the quality of the key: crappy lighting = crappy key.

[John Reis] "2 Project is for the Web, but are there benefits to shooting 4K when compositing the green screen shots"

Unless you plan to put 4K on the web, no. If the camera allows a lower resolution, you can use it.

[John Reis] "3 Will fast lateral movement in front of the green screen give me problems"

That's determined more by frame rate than anything else. The lower the frame rate, the more problems you'll have with horizontal motion.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: RED Green Screen Questions
by on Feb 10, 2013 at 2:04:18 am

I mostly agree with Dave about shooting 4K, but do consider that shooting with a higher resolution than you need can given you the freedom to scale, reframe, and otherwise transform shots in post---which would be problematic if you only shot exactly the pixels that you thought you'd need. I'd shoot at 2K to deliver HDTV for this reason, but I probably wouldn't shoot 4K.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]