ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Getting only the result of an "Add" Transfer mode of a highlight

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ted harissonGetting only the result of an "Add" Transfer mode of a highlight
by on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:21:55 pm

Say I have an image. On top of it there's a layer with a highlight with an "Add" transfer mode.
The "Add" makes the "light" merge beautifully with the image.
I would like to use that merged highlight (without the image itself) with alpha so that it can be used on top of other images.
(basically I am trying to fake the Add transfer mode, as it is pre-calculated)
What is the best way to achieve that?

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Getting only the result of an "Add" Transfer mode of a highlight
by on Feb 7, 2013 at 5:02:11 pm

Hi Ted - either : -

1 ) if the highlight does not move take frame into PS and paint everything else out with solid black

2 ) if the highlight moves make an animating matte to remove unwanted areas

...... then put result into separate layer and mix into bg plate...

........ and thats it !!!!! ------- chris ---

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Getting only the result of an "Add" Transfer mode of a highlight
by on Feb 8, 2013 at 4:43:02 am

What's so tough about just rrplicating the technique when you need it sgain? I don't get why you'd want to use an effect that relies on the layers below it on a totally different looking layer... znd expect the same satisfying results

Sometimes you just have to tweak things in AE until they look right. Not everythong is automatic.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ted harissonRe: Getting only the result of an "Add" Transfer mode of a highlight
by on Feb 9, 2013 at 9:51:04 pm

Thank you all for the replies. The reason for this is completely technical. The result of the animation has to be used on a real time application. Asking the computer to generate true real time add function would result in higher latency. I find it very challenging to find the right path to achieve this result.
It basically means I need the highlight output only where it merged with the underlying image. Don't use the image's highlights.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Getting only the result of an "Add" Transfer mode of a highlight
by on Feb 9, 2013 at 10:27:59 pm

[ted harisson] "The result of the animation has to be used on a real time application..."

I presume this means that the application is incapable of playing back two channels of video simultaneously. You would then have add the pleasing effect in some other application prior to using it in the real time application.

This other application could be a video editor, it could be AE, Flame, Motion, or something else.

But for this discussion, it still comes down to this: the nice look you've already created relies on the layers below it in AE. Those layers will in some some small way still be visible. If you want to use it again, you have to isolate it and render it with an alpha channel, and pray to God that the next image over which you put it isn't that different from the original.

Otherwise, it isn't worth doing. You would be better off just recreating a new one.

Now, if you're willing to divulge additional details about the comp containing this pleasing image, we might be able to offer suggestions that aren't as vague...

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

ted harissonRe: Getting only the result of an "Add" Transfer mode of a highlight
by on Feb 10, 2013 at 11:14:45 am

I placed an example to what I am after.
I guess I am after something as simple as the "Difference Matte" effect, but a more subtle approach of it. Meaning not having those harsh edges, and achieveing something more like a Luma Matte.
I am attaching a short checkerboard example where the highlight that travels has an impact on the underlying layer, it actually feels like it is grabbinbg them like a space/time anomaly :)
I'd like to preserve the difference between the layers and reuse it.

CheckerExample

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2013 at 8:49:24 pm

There is more going on in that clip than a simple highlight. AE's Bulge effect is used with negative bulge values to pucker the image, and the simple feathered circle with the add blend mode used.

This is something that's best done new each time. It really isn't that difficult, and you wouldn't do yourself any favors by re-using what you already have.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]