ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

working with 3D layers and camera only in miniature scales?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans Castropworking with 3D layers and camera only in miniature scales?
by on Feb 7, 2013 at 11:11:32 am

I'm matching 3D layers in AE to footage shot with camera. When I try to work with this I seem to work with sizes that AE can't cope with. In real life a layer should be 20 meters away from the camera. When I try to set these settings it jumps back to about 12 meters. ALso the camera can't be offset more than about -12000 mm (12 meters). That's no good. After Effects seems to work with tiny sizes. (you can't use meters or even cm as units, just mm). When I look in top view in my windows everything is out of reach. can't find the camera, can't find the layers. So...of course it's me doing something wrong and AE should be set differently, but how?

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: working with 3D layers and camera only in miniature scales?
by on Feb 7, 2013 at 7:26:02 pm

I allways assumed AE worked with some kind of generic unit. Anyway you'll have to treat it as such. Track the camera and position your desired element accordinly to what kind of positional data you got back through the track.

Return to posts index

Hans CastropRe: working with 3D layers and camera only in miniature scales?
by on Feb 8, 2013 at 7:14:40 am

composing CGI into real life footage should be possible. see for instance http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1273350 I know the settings of my camera and can adjust all the settings in After effects as such: film size, focal length, angle of view, distance to real life object, etc. AND after Effects does have the option to use mm, so an exact distance. That way it is possible to calculate the setup and get real perspective of the moving CGI. anyway, my footage can't be tracked because it doesn't move. Just some people in the scene move. I'd like to work with actual figures, and it seems to work most of the time, only sometimes I can't see the objects in top view, even if I zoom to 1,5% zoomlevel in topview. And as I stated, the figures of distance are limited to 11288 mm, which is 32000 px. any distance beyond that it jumps back to 11288. Than I can't match real life footage.

Return to posts index

Jan VorkRe: working with 3D layers and camera only in miniature scales?
by on May 28, 2013 at 7:39:16 am

In most camera trackers, the user is able to define the scale, by drawing a line of which the real life length is known, and then give it a value.
This should be a feature. Let's request it!

http://www.jaydude.nl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]