ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to make two videos flashes to the beat?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian LeeHow to make two videos flashes to the beat?
by on Feb 7, 2013 at 9:39:20 am

Another question from me. How do I make two videos flashes to the beat. For instance, scrub through 2:34 - 2:36 of this video

I know this takes painstaking job to do but pls don't tell me to zoom in split every clips to make them flash to the beat. that's crazy!! xD I need a systematic way of doing it. I believe there is! Thank you guys. ;)

Return to posts index

Paulo DiasRe: How to make two videos flashes to the beat?
by on Feb 7, 2013 at 11:27:44 am

I donĀ“t know any automatic way. I think that you must go in a frame-by-frame basis, modifying each frame content.

However, there's a tool that may help you, a tool used to sync image animations to audio:

1. Bring the audio to the comp
2. Select it
3. Animation - Keyframe Assistant - Convert Audio to Keyframes

Good luck.

"Experience alone does not create knowledge." Kurt Lewin

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to make two videos flashes to the beat?
by on Feb 7, 2013 at 1:14:31 pm

I've been editing 15 years, if you want flash frames like that, most of the time you pretty much do it as you described. You lay the outgoing track over the incoming for 20 frames or so(depends on the music) and yes, you cut every other frame of the track out.

If you are going to do this in AE you could use a simple expression. Set up your layers with the outgoing layer on top, extending the length of the transition. Set an opacity keyframe for 100%, go to the next beat of music and set a keyframe at 0%. Select both keyframes make them hold keyframes(Cntl+Alt+H). Now Alt+click your opacity stopwatch to create an expression and use the loopout expression:

The nice thing about this, is if you get a different beat structure you just need to adjust 2nd keyframe and the loopout will automatically update. Here's a simple project demonstrating the technique:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved