ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Composition Size Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer Adams
Composition Size Problem
on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:32:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm having the weirdest problem with my composition.
I'm importing a video file and dragging it into the "create new composition" icon, and the composition that's created somehow doesn't conform to the real video size.
The video is in PAL widescreen format, and when I go into the composition settings, it really is set to that option, but the video is for some reason still being squeezed into a 4:3 frame, also after rendering.
The weirdest thing is that if I set the composition size to normal PAL (not widescreen), the image appears in the correct size but exceeds the size of the composition, where the frame remains a 4:3 frame.

Screenshot: http://images.creativecow.net/249412/0_screenshot2.jpg

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks a ton,
Jennifer.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Composition Size Problem
on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:45:59 pm

(dupe. oops.)

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:46:39 pm

You need to enable pixel aspect ratio correction for the viewer. See this page for details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jennifer Adams
on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:55:49 pm

Hey Todd,
Thanks, but this fixes it just for the viewer panel. The rendered video is still distorted... Do you maybe know why this is?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 7, 2013 at 2:04:11 am

How are you determining that the final product is distorted? I.e., what device are you checking it on?

What are your render settings?

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Jennifer Adams
on Feb 7, 2013 at 2:22:17 am

When I play the rendered video in Windows Media Player, I get the distorted picture, like in the viewer panel in the photo in the original message.

The render settings are in the photo attached here: http://images.creativecow.net/249412/rendersettings.jpg

This is the template for PAL DV Widescreen, with only the "Video Format" changed to "Uncompressed". I checked many times to make sure that this change does not affect any of the other settings (Pixel Aspect Ratio, Frame Size, etc.)

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 7, 2013 at 2:26:03 am

Windows Media Player is treating the video as if it has square pixels, which makes sense, because it's a computer video player and computer video has square pixels.

What happens when you play the video on a device that has non-square pixels---i.e., the kind of device that is intended when you choose a PAL output type?

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Jennifer Adams
on Feb 7, 2013 at 2:35:49 am

Sorry, I don't quite understand. The original video being fed into After Effects is also in PAL Widescreen format, and it plays fine on Windows Media Player. Should I burn it on DVD and see how it plays out on TV? I want the file to be playable on both (computer and TV)...
I'm pretty sure the problem is in AE, seeing as it generates the same frame size whether I choose widescreen or normal as the preset... Or do I have it wrong?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 7, 2013 at 5:40:23 am

DV PAL widescreen is specced at 720x576 with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.4587. It will look squeezed if the player can't figure out the pixel aspect ratio, but it'll work on a DVD and in broadcast. You could export it as a custom 1050x576 resolution at a square pixel ratio, but then it will not fit the specification of DV PAL.

Return to posts index

Jennifer Adams
on Feb 7, 2013 at 12:16:34 pm

OK, I've imported it into Sony Vegas and it looks fine there, so I'll render it again there to make it playable on both the computer and TV, like the original file. Still seems weird that this isn't possible with the files rendered by After Effects...

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 7, 2013 at 5:27:05 pm

Sony Vegas is a NLE and it will understand the pixel aspect ratio. If you render it out from Vegas with DV PAL specifications it will look the same as it did from AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]