ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Pro Import After Effects crashes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch JordanPro Import After Effects crashes
by on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:45:15 pm

I'm trying to import a sequence in After Effects CS6 from FCP 7. I exported an XML version 5 file from FCP. In After Effects, I used Import-Pro Import After Effects. The translation starts, then suddenly After Effects crashes and generates an updated project and log. I've been doing this for years using Automatic Duck with no problems. Does anyone know what I can do to make this work again? I'm working on a 30 second spot with about 15 or so clips. The audio is across about 5 tracks. I also tried a workaround by going through Premiere Pro. I used the XML to open the sequence in Premiere Pro, then used Dynamic Link to send the Premiere sequence to After Effects. When it opens in After Effects, the sequence is blank.

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: Pro Import After Effects crashes
by on Feb 5, 2013 at 7:52:20 pm

I haven't had this issue, though the FCP 7 sequences I bring across are simpler than the one you describe.

The only suggestions I have are check the source files for anything unusual, compression, format etc. Premiere is much more forgiving than After Effects when it comes to file formats. No video formats with long GOPs or H.264. ProRes has never given me a problem.

If you've used any 3rd party effects in FCP these could also be the culprit.

Return to posts index

Mitch JordanRe: Pro Import After Effects crashes
by on Feb 5, 2013 at 8:05:35 pm

Thanks. I did some more testing, and I got it to work with a couple of clips on another sequence. That tells me that I probably have a problem clip in that sequence. Since I'm on deadline, I copied only the clips I needed for the immediate effect to a new sequence. I successfully transferred that to After Effects, so I'm back in business. When I have more time, I might trouble shoot to see which clip gave me the hard time.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Pro Import After Effects crashes
by on Feb 8, 2013 at 12:34:58 am

When you have isolated the clip(s) causing the problem, please let us know with a detailed bug report here:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Mitch JordanRe: Pro Import After Effects crashes
by on Feb 8, 2013 at 1:01:11 am

I was on a very tight deadline, so my workaround was to make a new sequence with only the clips that I needed for the graphic. I was able to successfully get that to work. When I have more time, I'll go back and experiment and see if I can find the problem. There must be a clip or piece of audio that caused the crash.

Return to posts index

Jett KahnRe: Pro Import After Effects crashes
by on Jul 13, 2013 at 8:49:00 pm

Has there been any luck finding a solution?
I'm currently having the same problem trying to import a FCP 7 XML to After Effects CS6 and experiencing a crash each time. I've tried removing all filters and exporting different version of the XML. My media in FCP is all uniform (ProRes 422) and there are 5 clips stacked.

I don't have this problem with other projects but every XML I export seems to crash AE regardless of which sequence I'm exporting.

Return to posts index

Carlos MartinezRe: Pro Import After Effects crashes
by on Jan 30, 2014 at 9:23:06 pm

Same issue. It seems to stop on one clip however, I need to source it now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved