ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animate and work with a 'title' you shot.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denis HosteAnimate and work with a 'title' you shot.
by on Feb 2, 2013 at 3:10:40 pm

I'd like to know how you guys would handle doing the following. I'm making a movie short and the movie has the same title as the title of a book that is prominent in the movie. Thus, I was thinking of filming the book for the opening credits, with the title visible, and then have the images of the book and surroundings fade away to a black screen but have the title itself remain.

I know I can do this by playing with the text-options until I have the exact same font and color of the letters on the book, place these letters exactly over the booktitle, and then have all of my image fade away except for the title.

This however will take very long because the color of the letters is a gradient and lighted by another lightsource that makes the gradient quite complicated. And the book is shot under an angle making it a very distorted italic style lettertype (as seen from the camera's point of view).

So I was wondering... How would you guys do it? Any tips? Do bear in mind that I am pretty new to After Effects, but I'm very willing to learn a lot of new things!

Thanks in advance!

Denis Hoste

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Animate and work with a 'title' you shot.
by on Feb 2, 2013 at 3:31:50 pm

Two ways come to mind. Duplicate the video layer of the book, carefully mask out the title only, then fade away the bottom video layer, leaving only the title. You could probably even then rotate the title straight(though this might present some aliasing issues). But if you were to shoot in say, 1080 and work in 720, it probably wouldn't be noticed.

The method I probably would use, would be to clone out the title of the book from your shot. Then carefully recreate my own title. One that I could manipulate any way I wanted later. Using layer styles, with bevels, embossing and gradients you should be able to completely recreate the title. This way you could take the flat/rotated title and straighten it out and place it full screen as the book dissolves.

Just my .02 cents.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Denis HosteRe: Animate and work with a 'title' you shot.
by on Feb 2, 2013 at 9:11:44 pm

That second method (the one you suggest you yourself would use) sounds good! I'll try that. Still being pretty new to AE I might have some more question though... I'll see how things go and if I need help, I'll ask my questions here! But thanks for the tips so far!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved