ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Is there a workflow to extrude photoshop files?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan CaldwellIs there a workflow to extrude photoshop files?
by on Feb 1, 2013 at 5:09:23 pm

Hello: I'm new to AE and trying to create a 3D motion graphic using a logo that was created in Photoshop. I would like to use the "3D Geometry Options/Extrude" effect to give depth to this element. Is there a workflow that will allow me to transform an existing Photoshop file so it can be imported as vector art footage instead of having it recreated?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Is there a workflow to extrude photoshop files?
by on Feb 1, 2013 at 5:36:20 pm

Depending upon the complexity of the logo, you could cut the logo up in Photoshop, then Extrude each of the layers you end up with - there may be some fill in paint work you'd have to do, depending on the logo design. As of CS6, a lot of, if not all, of the 3D capabilities in Photoshop have been killed. It never worked very well, anyway.

You also might want to look at Element 3D, from VideoCopilot - once again, depending on the design, you might be able to use the built in primitive shapes to create your logo shape, then texture map it with the Photoshop files. I think posting the logo might help here - I'm kind of flying blind...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Is there a workflow to extrude photoshop files?
by on Feb 1, 2013 at 5:51:02 pm

There is no direct path from Photoshop, though there is from Illustrator. (Side note: It seems odd that a vector graphics logo would be created in Photoshop and not Illustrator.)

I show how to do this with Illustrator graphics in this series:

That first video shows how to go from Illustrator graphics to vector shape layers in After Effects. The 3D extrusion part of the series starts with this video:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved