ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Trendy radial tile reveal/transition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew BrewerTrendy radial tile reveal/transition
by on Feb 1, 2013 at 5:09:22 pm

Hey there,

So there is this effect i've been seeing around in various motion and infographic pieces where there is a sort of tile-based (or perhaps a kaleidoscope) reveal outwards from the center of an invisible square grid where triangles flip over or slide to reveal another color.

I can achieve the rough look of this with cc tiler and a moving solid+diagonal mask beneath but am at a loss how to delay the effect & mirror it around the center so it ripples out...

If you have any idea what the heck i'm on about then some tips would be great! Been thinking about it for ages now... Of course, i can't find any examples now I need one but will have a dig about and see if I can post something up..

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Trendy radial tile reveal/transition
by on Feb 1, 2013 at 6:19:56 pm

The Card Dance and Card Wipe effects are a good place to start for this sort of thing.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Trendy radial tile reveal/transition
by on Feb 1, 2013 at 7:12:55 pm

Todd pointed you in the right direction. Card Wipe is probably the one best for your project. You can create a animated displacement map to drive the transition of the cards using Radio Waves (one circle from center to sides white on black and a simple animated disc that grows to fill the circle, all precomped).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Andrew BrewerRe: Trendy radial tile reveal/transition
by on Feb 2, 2013 at 1:41:31 am

Great stuff guys! Thank you, i'll give it a go in the morning :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved