ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Puppet tool on small vector layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim BentleyPuppet tool on small vector layer
by on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:35:13 pm

Hi all - I'm working on animating parts of a large AI vector of a piece of sheet music - 2D (or only animated along x and y), although with a camera flying around and, importantly, coming in very close to the little notes and rests, which are animated. Although the whole music graphic is large - 10000px wide (and as it doesn't move, can be continuously rasterised) the elements I'm animating on (separate layers) with the puppet tool are 'natively' very small (a few pixels). My understanding is that because of the rendering order, I cannot use the puppet tool on AND move the position of the tiny vectors AND continuously rasterise them (even in a pre-comp). The solution, obviously, is to make the animated elements large enough to not need continuously rastering.

My question - is there another way to do this? Somehow taking parts of my animation, scaling them up in illustrator, then scaling them down in my composition so I can then zoom in again doesn't seem like a very 'clean' solution.

I don't know if that's clear - I've attached a screenshot to explain more clearly.

On the left is some of the main piece of music (it's all on one very, very long line) and the small part of it I need to animate is on the right. As you can see the note needs to be continuously rasterised or greatly increased in size. But, given that I need to use the puppet tool AND change the position, is increasing the size the only possibility?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Puppet tool on small vector layer
by on Feb 3, 2013 at 5:16:50 am

Start with a large comp and nest this into a final-sized comp. Continuously Rasterize your AI vectors in the precomp. Commit to position KFs while in the precomp.

You shouldn't collapse transform the nested comp. Apply the Puppet Tool.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Tim BentleyRe: Puppet tool on small vector layer
by on Feb 3, 2013 at 5:50:17 pm

Thanks - in fact I'd already done almost exactly that - the puppet tool wasn't behaving behave exactly how I'd thought, but I've got it sorted :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved