ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tips on doing a 3d camera fly-by

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry FishTips on doing a 3d camera fly-by
by on Jan 30, 2013 at 5:35:57 pm

Hi,

I want to have a camera fly in to different video clips, show one for a few seconds, fly back, then move forward to a different clip - not Just straight but moving around different orientations/angles. I have 12 different clips I want to fly into & out of. I am not a novice, but by no means an expert either. I've seen some tutorials on 3d camera's etc. But I am struggling to get the look I want. Any scripts or other tips, - Anything!

Thanks!

Peace,

elFish

(The creative cow way of saying Larry Fish)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Tips on doing a 3d camera fly-by
by on Jan 30, 2013 at 6:00:14 pm

For doing this, I use null controlled camera rig based off of this tutorial: Simple Camera Rig

Andrew Davis also has a good 3 part series on the subject of AE cameras and creating a very similar rig: Animating a Camera 1

Both of those tutorials explain some of the issues you will encounter when using AE cameras.

Another option is to use Video Copilot Sure Target, it won't really teach you about why cameras behave the way they do, bit it's a pretty nifty little plugin that will automatically get you from 1 video to the other. It's a lot more limiting than if you keyframed everything with a regular camera.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Tips on doing a 3d camera fly-by
by on Jan 30, 2013 at 6:15:15 pm

Larry

Another vote for Video Copilot's Sure Target. It is quick and easy to use for the kind of animation you are going to make.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Larry FishRe: Tips on doing a 3d camera fly-by
by on Jan 31, 2013 at 2:12:55 am

Thanks! I checked out "shure target" - Its perfect. Been tweaking and playing for a few hours. Again - thanks to all for the advice!

http://www.larryfish.me

Peace,

elFish

(The creative cow way of saying Larry Fish)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Tips on doing a 3d camera fly-by
by on Jan 30, 2013 at 6:25:09 pm

For your type of project I found it easier to use a series of Nulls.
Lets say you have three targets. You create three 3d Nulls. Link the camera to the bottom one. The bottom Null to the middle Null and this one to the top null (top/middle/bottom refers to the layer order). Start animating the move to the first target by moving the top Null in position. This will move the other two Nulls and the Camera. Once you get to your first target, start animating the second Null (after whatever number of frames you need the Camera to be stationary in that point). Go to your second target. From here pick up the animation using the third Null. This way each movement is easy to control since you get only two keyframes for it, the camera does not go wacky on you and you can easily adjust the timing.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Tips on doing a 3d camera fly-by
by on Jan 31, 2013 at 1:03:49 am

if you have a lot of time for this, dan ebbert's has an old tutorial to 'build the worlds best cameraman' that could work well here:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ebberts_dan/expression_cont.php

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]