ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Transparent background of a PNG sequence

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mindy HoffmanTransparent background of a PNG sequence
by on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:25:09 pm

I have a png sequence I brought into After Effects that has a black background which I want to make transparent. It seems the Luma Key Effect will only work if the new background is a still image. The background i want to be able to see is another png sequence. Is there anyway to make the background transparent for my png sequence to whatever is behind it. I cannot simply do a mask as it is an animated camera. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Transparent background of a PNG sequence
by on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:42:13 pm

Sorry, I'm not following you.
Did you import the image sequence AS AN IMAGE SEQUENCE in AE, meaning that the image sequence shows up as a single clip in AE? It sounds as if you may not have done so, so here's how:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Then a luma key should work fine on the clip.

Know that AE defaults to a 30 fps frame rate, which may not be correct for your project. You can change it in the Interpret Footage settings for the clip. Also know that 24 fps almost always actually means 23.976 fps... unless your footage comes from something like a RED camera or an Arri Alexa. They can do 24. DSLR's do 23.976.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mindy HoffmanRe: Transparent background of a PNG sequence
by on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:46:50 pm

Yes i imported as an image sequence, it comes in as one file in AE. I can do Luma Key, however it does not let you make the background transparent to another image sequence. I have two image sequences, one is just the background and one is the building. I was hoping to compile the two together in here, however i cannot seem to get the background transparent for the building so i can see the site animation sequence behind it. Is there another tool that will make a color transparent in a sequence?

Return to posts index

Mindy HoffmanRe: Transparent background of a PNG sequence
by on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:49:55 pm

I was able to use the Keying>Extract and get what I wanted. Thanks for the response!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]