ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Compositing logic for multiple scenes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kari PieskäCompositing logic for multiple scenes
by on Jan 28, 2013 at 11:26:33 am

Hello. I have a logical problem that I can't figure out.

I have a rigged character. Then I made a precomp from his head. Inside this precomp I am going to control the mouth shapes, so the project stays clean. Simple.

Here is the problem:
If I make a scene 1, I copy the rigged character (f.ex. Rig_base) into it with a different name (Rig_sc1). So the original rigged character stays intact and I can keep on copying "Rig_base" into scene 2, 3, 4...

But now I seem to have a need to make a copy out from the "head" compostion aswell (f.ex. "head_sc1"). Because if I make changes for the mouth shapes in scene 1, those changes will be also in the "Rig_base".

This logic can't be right? If I have multiple compositions inside the rig, I feel that I have to make a copy out from all these compositions in order to always have a clean "Rig_base".

I feel very lightheaded on this one, and there must be something I just don't get.

I think there has to be a way just to copy the "Rig_base" with a different name and keep on making new scenes. But I just dont... see it.

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Compositing logic for multiple scenes
by on Jan 28, 2013 at 6:24:24 pm

So the hierarchy is:

Head (rigged for mouth)_______
|| || ||
Rig_base Rig_Base_src2 Rig_base_src3
|| || ||
Comp 1 Comp 2 Comp 3

You can see that even though you're copying the rig base, that every copy is still referencing one copy of the "Head" comp. Duplicating the "Rig_Base" comp does not create duplicates of the comps it's dependent on.

With that logic in mind, the "rig_base" is not the true base. Perhaps "head" needs to be expanded back into "rig_base" for proper usage and full duplication.

It's a bit hard to find these issues using AE's flowchart (I don't know if there is a trick to see more than one comp at a time) but it's just something you have to be aware of. You can test for dependencies by sticking suspected comps into a single comp to inspect it with the flowchart.

Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Kari PieskäRe: Compositing logic for multiple scenes
by on Jan 30, 2013 at 12:25:13 pm

Thank you for making that clearer.

I did some more searching, trying and erroring and found out this solution for my actual problem:

If I use time remap on the "head" comp, it cracks this case. Then the time remap function is not inside the "head" comp and the comp stays as a base, intact. Then I can control the mouth shapes with the time remap and can copy this comp to as many scenes I want.

After this comes another question. I added a slider effect to the time-remap. It gave out this code effect("mouthshapes")("Slider")
It didn't make the slider work. Then I remembered I saw somebody had added /25 in the end of the code, and that suddenly worked. Why is this?
I work with 24 fps, has it something to do with the framerate? I divides the slider effect, but don't understand how.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved