ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Deleting Object From Frame

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer AdamsDeleting Object From Frame
by on Jan 27, 2013 at 5:48:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a problematic shot where I need to erase an object from the frame.
It's a relatively still shot that lasts a few seconds. I've attached a photo from the shot, and it stays exactly like that all the way through, except the newspaper's natural movement in the hand of the person holding it. I need to erase the scissors, mug and coaster here, so that the space underneath is the plain smooth table. I've tried using the clone stamp for this, but I'm not sure how to use motion tracking to keep the effect constant as the newspaper shakes around a bit in the actor's hand. Can anyone explain how this is done?

Link: http://images.creativecow.net/249412/image2.jpg

Thanks a lot!
Jen :)

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Deleting Object From Frame
by on Jan 27, 2013 at 5:56:47 pm

Make a clean plate of the table and then rotoscope the hole in the newspaper that it shows only your clean plate underneath.

Return to posts index

Jennifer AdamsRe: Deleting Object From Frame
by on Jan 27, 2013 at 6:03:01 pm

Hey Tero, thanks a lot!
I'm kinda weak on the terminology - what do you mean by rotoscope?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Deleting Object From Frame
by on Jan 27, 2013 at 6:31:04 pm

[Jennifer Adams] "...what do you mean by rotoscope?"

Probably more work than you had anticipated. Here's a page that gets you started:

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/animating-shape-paths-masks.html...

Be sure to follow the links within for more help.

Rotoscoping can be a long, tedious and painstaking process to achieve desirable results, which is why people try to avoid it. But sometimes it can't be avoided.

And I have to tell you: the easiest way of all is to shoot it properly: don't have those annoying extra things in the shot. But you probably figured that one out on your own.

I'd be tempted to just re-shoot if I could, and give the continuity person a good dope slap for missing the obvious.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Simon RoughanRe: Deleting Object From Frame
by on Jan 28, 2013 at 3:14:37 pm

Sorry to point out the obvious, but it isn't such a hard shot to repeat. Just shoot it again without the stuff you don't want in the picture.
This would be a tiny fraction of the effort it would take to rotoscope that out. "A few seconds" can mean 100 pictures or more you have to do.
Simon

A picture is only as good as the glass it comes through. And the person using the camera has something to do with it too.

Return to posts index

Jennifer AdamsRe: Deleting Object From Frame
by on Jan 28, 2013 at 8:03:59 pm

Yeah, you're right I guess... I took a shot with the rotoscoping and it turned out terrible /:

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Deleting Object From Frame
by on Jan 28, 2013 at 9:43:00 pm

Glad you could reshoot, and glad it turned out better.
It's always best to get it right the first time, and it's always best NOT to say, "We'll fix it in post".

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]