ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to set "reagion of interest" precisely?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yousuke KitaokaHow to set "reagion of interest" precisely?
by on Jan 27, 2013 at 5:07:02 am

Hello. I am using AE CS6 win version.

Right now I am trying to make a movie, whose size is 640 x 480(4:3 aspect ratio).And I am editing a composition whose size is, 1024x1024, 1k resolution, and I want to make a proxy of this 1k compositon, but I want to make the proxy size 640 x 480. The reason why I am editing 1k compositon is because it's easier to make a movie if there is larger space in compositon.

So I need to use region of interest to crop the original 1k composition, but it's time-consuming to set the region of interest manually. Do you know how to make the region of interest precisely? I thought I put the 1k compositon into 640x480 compositon and make a proxy movie from it, but it means I need to make a lot more compositons to make proxy. It will make my project panel messy...

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How to set "reagion of interest" precisely?
by on Jan 27, 2013 at 6:49:51 am

[Yousuke Kitaoka] "Right now I am trying to make a movie, whose size is 640 x 480(4:3 aspect ratio).And I am editing a composition whose size is, 1024x1024, 1k resolution, and I want to make a proxy of this 1k compositon, but I want to make the proxy size 640 x 480. The reason why I am editing 1k compositon is because it's easier to make a movie if there is larger space in compositon."

I really, really don't recommend this workflow (though it's a clever workaround for Ae's restrictive viewports). Use a 3D view [link] instead.

That said -- you can't use numeric entry for the region of interest tool (though the Info panel will show you the ROI's bounding coordinates).

You can use direct numeric entry in the render queue. Add your comps to the render queue, then click on the output module. Enable Crop, and enter the values as you like (192 each left and right, 272 each to and bottom for a center crop). You can save this output module and re-use it later.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: How to set "reagion of interest" precisely?
by on Jan 27, 2013 at 7:19:16 am

Yousuke

Right now I am trying to make a movie, whose size is 640 x 480(4:3 aspect ratio). And I am editing a composition whose size is, 1024x1024,

This means that there is a lot of blank space in your composition.

What I understood from your method is that you want to make a proxy of 1k resolution comp with a resolution of 640 x 480 and there should not be any blank space(that's why you are using Region of Interest to crop the blank area)?

Am I right?

If yes then in render queue, Choose Best settings and then go to Output Module settings.

Now check Crop option and enter the values as shown in the image:

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: How to set "reagion of interest" precisely?
by on Jan 27, 2013 at 7:21:38 am

Oh..!! Walter explained it while I was uploading the screenshot :D

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: How to set "reagion of interest" precisely?
by on Jan 27, 2013 at 4:44:09 pm

I might suggest another workflow for your situation. Create a "Final Render" composition at the 640x480 resolution and place your working comp in it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to set "reagion of interest" precisely?
by on Jan 28, 2013 at 2:01:06 am

You could nest the large comp inside the small comp.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Yousuke KitaokaRe: How to set "reagion of interest" precisely?
by on Jan 28, 2013 at 5:34:32 pm

Thank you for your advice guys. OK then I will use the crop option.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to set "region of interest" precisely?
by on Jan 28, 2013 at 6:24:13 pm

I would advise against using the crop option.

The reason: the subjects in your main comp may move dangerously close to the edges. The subjects could even move past the edges.

If you nest the main comp in a comp of the proper delivery dimensions, you have the option of animating the position of the nested comp within it, sidestepping that danger.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: How to set "region of interest" precisely?
by on Jan 28, 2013 at 7:30:09 pm

I agree with Dave, you're better off nesting the comp in a render comp of the desired dimensions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]