ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Not able to jump forward specified number of frames in CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian SarfattyNot able to jump forward specified number of frames in CS6
by on Jan 25, 2013 at 8:48:28 pm

In preview versions of After Effects, this worked:

To go forward a specific period of time or number of frames, click the current-time display, and then enter the plus sign (+) followed by the timecode or number of frames to advance. For example, enter +20 to go forward 20 frames or 1:00 to go forward one second. Precede the value by the minus sign (-) to go backward. For example, enter +-20 to go backward 20 frames or +-1:00 to go backward one second.

See:
http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/previewing.html

I am trying this in CS6, and it's not working!!! Anyone know why? If I am at 1:00, and click current time, and enter 1:00+5, hit enter, I am still at 1:00, not at 1:05 as expected.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Not able to jump forward specified number of frames in CS6
by on Jan 25, 2013 at 10:47:57 pm

I just tried this in After Effects CS6, and it worked for me.

To give us more details to help to find what's wrong on your end, provide answers to the questions listed here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Not able to jump forward specified number of frames in CS6
by on Jan 26, 2013 at 3:30:24 am

Your syntax, 1:00+5, is incorrect. The correct syntax requires the + sign to precede other input.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Not able to jump forward specified number of frames in CS6
by on Jan 26, 2013 at 7:11:46 pm

Brian

Roland is absolutely right. I tried entering 1:00+5 even in CS3 version and nothing happened. Just enter +5 as he has suggested it will work.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Brian SarfattyRe: Not able to jump forward specified number of frames in CS6
by on Jan 26, 2013 at 7:23:14 pm

Thanks, you're right, need to clear out existing TC and it works.

To be fair, I did use the syntax provided in the help file. So the help file is wrong.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Not able to jump forward specified number of frames in CS6
by on Jan 26, 2013 at 7:37:09 pm

Brian

To be fair, I did use the syntax provided in the help file. So the help file is wrong.

From AE Help :

To go forward a specific period of time or number of frames, click the current-time display, and then enter the plus sign (+) followed by the timecode or number of frames to advance. For example, enter +20 to go forward 20 frames or 1:00 to go forward one second. Precede the value by the minus sign (-) to go backward. For example, enter +-20 to go backward 20 frames or +-1:00 to go backward one second.

You misunderstood what is explained here. You either enter the Number of Frames OR Directly the Timecode.

So the help file is NOT wrong.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2013 at 9:19:40 pm

If you follow the instructions in the Help document, by clicking in the timecode control, you select the entire timecode value so that when you begin typing you replace the entry, not add to it. The instructions in the Help document are, therefore, correct. That, of course, doesn't mean that they are _clear_, since you obviously got tripped up.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Brian SarfattyRe: Not able to jump forward specified number of frames in CS6
by on Jan 31, 2013 at 3:46:40 pm

Ok, well this still makes no sense.

If I am at 1:00 and I click and replace it with +10, I go to 1:10. If I click and replace with -10, I go to -0:00:00:10, before my comp begins.

How do I go BACK 10 frames???!!

Yes, there is Cmd+Shift+Left. But what if I want to go back a different interval, like 6 frames back???

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Not able to jump forward specified number of frames in CS6
by on Feb 1, 2013 at 5:21:02 am

The answer is in your first post. You type +-10 to go back 10 frames from your CTI. The syntax always requires a + at the very start. It's obviously not intuitive but that's the way things have been since Man discovered that the world was not a perfect sphere.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

by on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:47:17 pm

Roland beat me to it; he is correct.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]