ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Resolution/quality loss using After effect with photoshop and final cut pro.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laure Carnet
Resolution/quality loss using After effect with photoshop and final cut pro.
on Jan 25, 2013 at 3:00:09 pm

Hello there,

I shall explain my problem.

I am working with three different programs. Final cut 7, photoshop, and after effects.
I have taken a psd still from final cut to work in photoshop. I create a still from the final cut pro sequence using 'export- Using quick time conversion'.
In photoshop I have layered a project to work in after effects to make an animation.
The animation is then exported back from after effects into final cut.
I work with PAL.

When i export the project from after effect back into final cut pro, i lose quality/ resolution. I export using 'pre-render' then 'best setting' and 'quick time' in the output module'. The video codec i chose is 'animation'.
Where do i go wrong?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Resolution/quality loss using After effect with photoshop and final cut pro.
on Jan 26, 2013 at 7:13:53 pm

Laure

Use PNG Codec instead of Animation which is Lossless.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Resolution/quality loss using After effect with photoshop and final cut pro.
on Jan 27, 2013 at 6:40:05 am

[Vishesh Arora] "Use PNG Codec instead of Animation which is Lossless. "

Animation (at 100%) is lossless, too.

[Laure Carnet] "I have taken a psd still from final cut to work in photoshop. I create a still from the final cut pro sequence using 'export- Using quick time conversion'. In photoshop I have layered a project to work in after effects to make an animation. The animation is then exported back from after effects into final cut."

Are you working with standard-definition PAL video? Have you rendered with fields? If so, have you rendered with the correct field order? PAL is upper-field first for every codec except PAL DV, which is lower-field first.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Laure Carnet
on Jan 28, 2013 at 12:22:45 pm

Hello Walter,

Thank you very much for your time.
Yes, i am working with standard pal and i am rendering using quick time 25 frames.

I have rendered using ProRes, with Ae rendering Trillions of Colors as you advised but the loss of resolution is still happening.. To be able to render in trillions of colors i had to rework the initial image as psd file at 16 bit on photoshop.

Best
laure

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 27, 2013 at 6:53:10 am

if you're working with sky gradients, most all 444 video codecs are only 8bit. You'd need a psd or tiff trillions sequence to fully protect trips through software.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 27, 2013 at 7:30:35 am

[Chris Wright] "if you're working with sky gradients, most all 444 video codecs are only 8bit. You'd need a psd or tiff trillions sequence to fully protect trips through software."

Good point.

But image sequences are messy with FCP. If you're round-tripping 10b sources with FCP, I'd recommend one of the flavors of ProRes, with Ae rendering Trillions of Colors.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Jan 27, 2013 at 9:44:21 am

Walter
Animation (at 100%) is lossless, too.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of that.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Laure Carnet
on Jan 28, 2013 at 10:27:07 am

Hello Chris,
Thank you very much for your time.
I have created a 16bit psd file on photoshop that got exported using trillion from After effect after creating the animation as you advised and the quality loss is still happening..
Best
laure

Return to posts index

Laure Carnet
on Jan 28, 2013 at 6:56:16 pm

Hello Chris,

Sorry if there is cross posting. i think i did not send the previous message properly.

Thank you very much for your reply.
I have created a 16bit psd file on photoshop that i then exported from After effect using trillion as you advised and the quality loss is still happening.
So i must do something wrong.
Best
laure

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 30, 2013 at 12:18:08 pm

are you using any 8 bit effects and is the interpretation interlaced upper/lower field or separate non or preserve best edges. Is color management set to a low gamut? try simple importing and exporting an unchanged image and roundtrip it. Work out from there.

Return to posts index

Laure Carnet
on Feb 12, 2013 at 8:50:44 pm

Hello Chris,
Sorry for such late reply but i was working abroad without an internet connection.
Thank you very much for your piece of advice. Will try it out
Best
laure

Return to posts index

Fernando Petaco
on Feb 20, 2013 at 1:11:28 am

In what format should I export a video made in After Effects (PC) with transparency for editing in Final Cut (Mac)?
I sent the material to the customer in QUICK TIME / uncompressed / RGB + ALPHA and he says it loses quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]