ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Where to store Media Cache?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Cox
Where to store Media Cache?
on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:30:17 am

Hello everyone,

I am aware that for optimum performance in AE you want your footage (source) files on one drive, your exported sequence on another drive and your disk cache on yet another drive - all separate from your startup drive.

My question is, where should I store my 'Conformed Media Cache' files? Under preferences this is located just beneath where the Disk Cache settings are. Is it a performance hindrance to have these on my startup disk, and should I instead move them to the same external hdd as my Disk Cache?

They do take up an awful lot of room on my macbook's startup disk, that's for sure....any insight would be greatly appreciated! Drop some knowledge on me, I need it.

-Kyle

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Where to store Media Cache?
on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:57:30 am

Kyle

Here you can get a good information about Media Cache :

Managing the Conformed Media Cache

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Kyle Cox
on Jan 24, 2013 at 11:00:34 pm

Thanks for the link Vishesh! So according to that it looks like my Media Cache can be stored on my startup drive without issue - I might still move it to an external drive (same as the Disk Cache) just to clear up some space on my laptop - I've got some BIG video files I'm working with!

Dave, my laptop came with 8gb RAM, but can take a maximum of 16gb. Been looking into either upgrading to 16gb RAM OR getting an SSD startup drive and moving my old HDD to where the Macbook's Superdrive is (basically replacing my CD drive with my original HDD).

Still weighing those two choices and trying to decide which will give me more noticeable performance enhancements in AE, etc. I've used a mac w/ an SSD startup drive before and they are FAST! It's so tempting...but then again, RAM is crucial to AE as well. Mine runs pretty decently at 8gb most of the time, but I know 16 would be better. What would you personally do if you only had the option of one of those upgrades?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 24, 2013 at 3:40:28 pm

If you aren't already, you should also be made aware that AE is a memory hog. If you haven't tricked that laptop out with RAM, you should do so.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kyle Cox
on Jan 25, 2013 at 2:58:50 am

Thanks for the link Vishesh! So according to that it looks like my Media Cache can be stored on my startup drive without issue - I might still move it to an external drive (same as the Disk Cache) just to clear up some space on my laptop - I've got some BIG video files I'm working with!

Dave, my laptop came with 8gb RAM, but can take a maximum of 16gb. Been looking into either upgrading to 16gb RAM OR getting an SSD startup drive and moving my old HDD to where the Macbook's Superdrive is (basically replacing my CD drive with my original HDD).

Still weighing those two choices and trying to decide which will give me more noticeable performance enhancements in AE, etc. I've used a mac w/ an SSD startup drive before and they are FAST! It's so tempting...but then again, RAM is crucial to AE as well. Mine runs pretty decently at 8gb most of the time, but I know 16 would be better. What would you personally do if you only had the option of one of those upgrades?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 25, 2013 at 5:29:58 am

I know that you asked originally about the media cache, but you also mentioned the disk cache being on an external drive.

Don't do that.

You want the disk cache on the fastest drive that you have, with the fastest connection. In nearly all cases, that will be an internal drive. There is no reason to not have this on your startup drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]