ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

My imported Quicktime MOV file does not display transparency in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Melnyk
My imported Quicktime MOV file does not display transparency in After Effects
on Jan 23, 2013 at 9:14:02 pm

Hello,
I purchased an istockphoto.com video file in .mov format and when I brought it into AE it does not show the transparency (alpha).

The preview clearly shows an obvious white and black area where the transparency should be but it won't display the video properly in AE.

How can I get AE to recognize and display the transparency.

The file number form istock is #15323249.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: My imported Quicktime MOV file does not display transparency in After Effects
on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:01:38 pm

[Patrick Melnyk] "I purchased an istockphoto.com video file in .mov format and when I brought it into AE it does not show the transparency (alpha). The preview clearly shows an obvious white and black area where the transparency should be but it won't display the video properly in AE."

That file does not actually contain an alpha channel per se. It has fill and matte, stored sequentially as RGB, not RGBA.

In other words, the second half of the movie is a luma matte [link] for the first half.

[Patrick Melnyk] "How can I get AE to recognize and display the transparency."

Import the footage. Split the layer (Ctrl-Shift-D on PC, Cmd-Shift-D on Mac) when the black and white part begins. Move the black and white footage directly above the color footage, then enable "Luma Matte" for the color footage.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]