ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Polygon Wipe - After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Marino
Polygon Wipe - After Effects
on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:48:10 pm

Hello,

I am trying to perform a wipe effect from one comp to another, using hexagons.

Anybody know of a tried and true method, or plugin I can use?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

-JM

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Polygon Wipe - After Effects
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:32:29 pm

How about your editing application? It would probably be a lot faster than AE.....

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jonathan Marino
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:49:29 pm

Unfortunately After Effects is my editing software. Not ideal, I know, but all I have to work with.

I would think with all of the wipe effects that come bundled with AE, there would be something a bit more complex by now.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:26:58 pm

Actually, there aren't all that many wife effects compared to an NLE.

Okay, here's the AE way to do it: Build your wipe with geometric objects in a different comp. You can use a bunch of white solids with masks (duplicate the first one) or white shape layers, make one & duplicate it.

Now position & scale them and mess with each layer's in point. It should transition from the comp's background color (probably black) to all-white. Check the timing on a preview.

Now use this comp as a track matte, and there's your wipe. You'll want to do a Split layer command on the newer layer once the transition is done.

It's a pain, but you can do it.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:32:04 pm

there's really not too many transitions that come with ae.. not compared to and nle.

in ae if you just want a simple hexagon hole that scales up to reveal a layer, then iris wipe can do that.

if you wanted a series of smaller iris wipes in a grid, the you can create a smallish solid (maybe 50x50), add iris wipe (set points to 12 and the radius large enough to see it) and then add motion tile and set the output width & height to fill the screen. then you can animate the iris to wipe the solid off and use that as a track matte for a layer.

if you needed them in a honeycomb pattern, it would get trickier... i would create a smallish comp that has a height to width ratio of around 1.7... so maybe 50x86. create a hexagon shape layer in the center that fills the width and animate it scaling from 0 to 100.

duplicate that four times and move the center of each copy to a corner of the comp.

now take that small comp into the main comp, apply motion tile (or cc repetile) to repeat it out and fill the screen. now you can use that layer as a track matte to reveal another layer.

you can even build a hexagon shaped card wipe: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/908622#908635

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]