ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Retro close a mask or combine masks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobias Van KleeckRetro close a mask or combine masks
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 4:39:14 pm

My guess is this isn;t possible but here goes.

While creating a large detailed mask, somewhere along the way, I accidentally started a new mask (I'm gonna turn on "Cycle Mask Colors" from now on). So, obviously when I went to close the second mask, I realized what had happened. At this point, I essentially have two long paths as opposed t one large closed mask.

Is there any way I can at least save some time by adding points to one of the masks and ultimately close it somehow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Retro close a mask or combine masks
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 4:46:57 pm

Open the layer, select the mask and all the points should be selected. Select the point from where you want to continue from(I use shift to deselect it, then select it to get the other points unselected) press "G" to get your pen tool and start adding points again.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Tobias Van KleeckRe: Retro close a mask or combine masks
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:28:35 pm

Unfortunately in this case, that doesn't work (at least not in CS6) but, thanks for the reply!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 23, 2013 at 6:07:54 pm

That's really strange, cause I was using CS6 to make sure that would work. Are you trying to connect mask 1 to 2, cause I don't think that would work, but I know you can go back and close an open mask.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Tobias Van KleeckRe: Retro close a mask or combine masks
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:05:05 pm

Ah-ha! I was just responding to you and figured out the step I missed - I didn't click on Mask Path under the mask properties - I had only clicked on the mask itself so it kept wanting to make a new mask.

Got it figured out with your help - thanks so much!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:25:49 pm

Glad you figured it out...sorry about not adding the path.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]