ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Separating a foreground object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alberto González RodríguezSeparating a foreground object
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 12:25:31 pm

First of all, this is my first post here but this forum helped me a lot, thanks to all.

I'm working in a project to record some videos and I need to separate a foreground object (a hand) from background (a blue paper).

I tried with rotoscopia (good result, but slow and sometimes there are some ugly errors), with chroma key (it is not easy to have good lighting to do as perfect), and now I'm trying with Super Tight Junk Mates and I'm getting good results.

But after to continue, I would like ask to you about your opinion/tricks/sugettions how to do it.

Video is this one:

(Background is blue, I tried with green one but with blue I'm getting better results).

Thanks in advice.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Separating a foreground object
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 4:42:49 pm

If you're not getting a clean key, my guess is that maybe the hand is too close to the blue background, and you're not getting a clean, flat, blue color, which is pretty essential to getting the clean key you want. It's also possible that you haven't worked through the keying process - you're using Keylight, right? - far enough to give you a clean key. More tutorials ahead...

Have you tried the Roto Brush? It's not intuitive, so you'll have to go through a couple of tutorials (all you need to know is on the Adobe site in their video tutorials). But it sounds as if there's plenty of contrast going, which the Roto Brush will do a great job with. There are no one button solutions to keying (only in demos of keying software), so don't expect one. Good luck...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved