ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Post-Prodocution Workflow GH2>After Effects>Twixtor>Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey BaniaPost-Prodocution Workflow GH2>After Effects>Twixtor>Final Cut Pro
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 6:05:30 am

I am in need of a little guidance regarding my workflow options for an upcoming project I will be shooting on a Panasonic GH2.

Footage from my GH2 is in the .mts format/AVCHD codec and my usual workflow is to use FCP's 'log and transfer' function to convert the footage to ProRes, for editing in FCP. I usually also archive each SD card as back up.

However, I am wondering whether there is a better method for this project, which will involve heavy use of the Twixtor plugin in After Effects. My initial instinct was to transcode the raw files into ProRes via FCP as per usual and then import these ProRes files into After Effects for processing. But I wonder whether I would be better of editing the .mts files directly in After Effects before exporting for FCP. My understanding is that this method involves one less re-compression and should theoretically result in less artifacts.

I am also unsure about what the most efficient codec for exporting from After Effects to bring back into FCP.

My ultimate goal here is to preserve quality and minimise re-compression artifacts.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers.
J

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Post-Prodocution Workflow GH2>After Effects>Twixtor>Final Cut Pro
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 10:56:02 am

.mts use temporal compression which is not recommended by AE.

I would sugget you to convert .mts files to .mov using PNG codec which is lossless and then import it in AE.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Vinod PanRe: Post-Prodocution Workflow GH2>After Effects>Twixtor>Final Cut Pro
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 3:58:57 pm

Hi Vishesh,

Is this the codec you are referring to?

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/CorePNG.htm

If not can you please give me the link.

I am trying to edit .mts 1920X1080 50p(28 mbps) files.

Thanks
Vinod

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Post-Prodocution Workflow GH2>After Effects>Twixtor>Final Cut Pro
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 4:59:29 pm

I believe that Vishesh was simply referring to using the PNG video codec that is part of the standard QuickTime installation.

That said, I don't know that it's necessary to transcode your footage at all. I'd just work with the files that you have, without transcoding, and only resort to transcoding if/when you hit a problem.

The advice regarding After Effects and MPEG-based codecs is somewhat outdated. There may still be some residual problems, but the handling of these files has gotten much better in the last couple of versions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Post-Prodocution Workflow GH2>After Effects>Twixtor>Final Cut Pro
by on Jan 24, 2013 at 7:51:31 am

I believe that Vishesh was simply referring to using the PNG video codec that is part of the standard QuickTime installation.

Tod you are right. Though AE can handle .mts files but sometimes it creates problem while working.

Vinod

I was referring the PNG codec that is part of QuickTime.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Post-Prodocution Workflow GH2>After Effects>Twixtor>Final Cut Pro
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:31:26 pm

I'd say your current workflow is pretty darn good. ProRes is a great codec, and it suffers far, far less generational loss upon re-rendering than MPEG.

MPEG can also slow down AE if you apply effects that involve time in any way.

Although I haven't had the opportunity to use it, Automatic Duck may still be available, which brings an FCP edit timeline into AE as a comp. Very handy. The latest version of AE may even have made accommodations within the application to do the same thing; I haven't checked.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]