ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

can wave world ripples fade before reaching layer edge

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ste hardycan wave world ripples fade before reaching layer edge
by on Jan 22, 2013 at 9:34:04 pm

Hi all,
I wondered if Wave World ripples can fade before reaching layer edge.
I thought I could do it by animating damping up to 1 but that is not working.
also I would like there to be several concentric ripples but only 1 central splash, as if a stone or raindrop has hit the water. does anybody know if this is possible?

thanks in advance
s

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: can wave world ripples fade before reaching layer edge
by on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:09:00 pm

i assume you are using the resulting wave world ripple as a bump map (or displacement map).

if so you can force the edges to go gray a number of different ways... to do it all on one layer, try adding the circle effect, click the invert circle option, set the color to 50% gray, adjust the radius and feather properties until the waves fade out as the reach the edges.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: can wave world ripples fade before reaching layer edge
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 9:57:59 am

ste

If you are using wave world as a displacement map then
precompose the Wave world.
Now make a circular mask till where you want the waves to appear and again precompose it.
Now use it as a displacement map.

It may help.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: can wave world ripples fade before reaching layer edge
by on Jan 25, 2013 at 5:00:59 am

[ste hardy] "I thought I could do it by animating damping up to 1 but that is not working.
also I would like there to be several concentric ripples but only 1 central splash, as if a stone or raindrop has hit the water. does anybody know if this is possible?"

A constant Damping value should work for you. What that constant is will depend on a couple of other properties.

The property you'll want to animate for the single splash is the Amplitude of the producer. Animate this from 0 to 0.5 (or some other value) and back to 0. In general for a single splash I'd do this over 3 frames (frame 1: 0, frame 2: 0.5, frame 3: 0).

The amount you set your Damping to will depend on the value you entered for your Amplitude as well as the Wave Speed and the Ground Height. I found that 0.5 was a good value for Damping with all other settings at their defaults and the 3 frame animation of the Amplitude.

In addition you'll want to feather the edges of the solid to 50% gray to be sure following either Kevin or Vishesh's direction.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]