ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects Scripting; how deep does the rabbit hole go?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joseph kitchin
After effects Scripting; how deep does the rabbit hole go?
on Jan 19, 2013 at 9:30:35 am

i actually posted on here a while back about this same project, but haven't touched it in forever. I determined that after effects was probably my best bet for making this project work

My goal is to use after effects scripting to make a series of quick-access tools SPECIFICALLY for this project, compressing several steps that must be constantly repeated into a few drags and a drop down box.

here is the ultimate goal, to make a toolset to mass-produce these

for this is basically need to do one very important thing, with some stuff bundled into that. are any of these possible with Expressions? where should i start?
-> i need some way to define a text box, position it, then choose from a series of stock text animations from a drop-down box, as well as if it's per-word or per-letter, and the animation speed. The generated text box must have handles on the timeline for fade-in and fade-out, which are independent of the animation speed (so the text can fade in and animate, then hang around until the scene changes).

it is very important that the process be this quick, as i'll need to make lots of pages like this and not having to take ten minutes per page would be great.

the visual effects and audio are separate things entirely, and probably not nearly as complex

Return to posts index

Diego Mellado
Re: After effects Scripting; how deep does the rabbit hole go?
on Jan 19, 2013 at 9:31:21 pm

Hi!
I use expression quite hard, and if you want to make a kind of toolbox, I guess you should think of scripting better than using expresions.
May be somebody can give you a better advice, but I would start looking into scripting.

Best,
Diego

Return to posts index

joseph kitchin
Re: After effects Scripting; how deep does the rabbit hole go?
on Jan 20, 2013 at 12:13:24 am

oh, i was under the impression that scripting in after effects was referred to as expressions (to make after effects seem more unique or something, marketing stuff), didn't realize they were distinct things

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]