ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Write on effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack StewartWrite on effect
by on Jan 18, 2013 at 10:12:31 am

Hey guys

I have been having some trouble getting the Write-on effect to work. I seem to be doing everything correct but I can't get the brush position to move along the path.

I have tried it in another composition doing the same thing and it works but in other compositions it won't. Why is this?

You can see from the image that I have uploaded that the brush position should be further along the path. The timeline indicator position shows how far into the key frames it is on the line.

Something is going wrong with the brush position. Please can you help.

Many thanks,
Jack

http://www.jackalcreative.co.uk

Return to posts index

Jack StewartRe: Write on effect
by on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:20:19 pm

Hang on After Effects community. I think I have managed to find the solution for you all. So if there are any more noob designers out there struggling with the write-on effect here is what I think you need to do.

You need to pre-compose the asset that you want to write-on. The reason why you need to do this is because if its not pre-composed when you copy the path and then paste it onto the brush position your pasting path coordinates that are in a much larger space than what you need. The brush is still moving but its probably off the canvas, out of view.

So please correct me if I am wrong experts as I am still new to this but I hope this helps people who end up with the same problem to solve.

Cheers,
Jack

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Write on effect
by on Jan 18, 2013 at 2:16:13 pm

As long as the source and target layers have identical resolutions, there is no requirement for precomping.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

by on Jan 18, 2013 at 2:38:44 pm

Hey thanks.

I have checked it and I seem to have the same resolution on the comp throughout. I am not sure how this applies.

Its still following a path off the canvas and it should be over my the line I drew with the pen tool.

What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Write on effect
by on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:50:56 pm

If you use Write-On on a different layer than the layer on which you made masks -- a solid, perhaps -- the dimensions and pixel aspect ratio of the new layer must match the ones in the original layer.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Write on effect
by on Jan 19, 2013 at 1:13:39 pm

Jack

See the Image Below:

You can see the difference in Dimensions of the Graphic layer and your Comp which is creating problem for Write-On Effect.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

by on Jan 22, 2013 at 9:58:29 am

Hey

Thank you ever so much for the informative responses here.

I was still having some trouble but I think this is because the file I was trying to apply write-on to was an imported illustrator file. I'm not sure why.

I have since found that by pre-comping the illustrator file and then applying the effect to the pre-comp works every time.

Maybe there is no need to do this but it has been the only solution that is working.

Thanks ever so much for your help guys!

Regards,
Jack

Return to posts index

by on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:06:07 am

Jack

Another workaround, make your Document size(in Illustrator) equal to the Comp size you want in After effects and then import your Illustrator file.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

by on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:46:26 am

Hey Vishesh

Thanks!

I forgot to mention anything about illustrator before now, but yeah that makes perfect sense!

My comp for the illustrator files is 5443 x 3062

and my output resolution is 1920 x 1080.

So thats explains it.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this.

Jack

Return to posts index

by on Jan 22, 2013 at 11:02:34 am

Anytime Jack

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index