ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Jpeg Document Quality Enhancement in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Ouellette
Jpeg Document Quality Enhancement in After Effects
on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:34:12 am

I have JPEG documents that I would like to increase the quality of so I can use them within After Effects. What is the best option to accomplish this? I was thinking of converting them through Illustrator or using an OCR program. Any suggestion would be appreciated, thank you.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Jpeg Document Quality Enhancement in After Effects
on Jan 17, 2013 at 2:00:21 pm

The Illustrator route won't work, because you're working with a bitmap within a vector based software package. You can't improve a bitmap file in Illustrator. The quality (or lack of) is baked in.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 17, 2013 at 2:04:10 pm

Here's a runthrough on what you can do to improve the quality of a .jpg:

http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-Jpeg-Image-Quality

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jan 17, 2013 at 4:02:49 pm

Some of these answers seem a bit misleading.

I suggest trying to bring the jpeg into illustrator. If it's a good scan but you want something to blow up without quality loss then give Illustrator's live trace. It will convert bitmap images to vector outlines. If things seem a little blotchy then tune the settings.

If this doesn't give acceptable results, there are all kinds of OCR programs at different price points. Once you get the OCR result saved as a PDF then you should be able to open it in Photoshop and scale it quite a bit since it's rasterizing a vector based font.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Josh Ouellette
on Jan 17, 2013 at 9:28:14 pm

Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:51:17 am

Not misleading at all, Angelo - a bitmap is a bitmap, and if there's aliasing in it, no amount of live tracing is going to improve it, short of lowering the quality of the trace, which will round the edges of the type and make it look even worse.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 18, 2013 at 2:04:11 am

[Angelo Lorenzo] "I suggest trying to bring the jpeg into illustrator. If it's a good scan but you want something to blow up without quality loss then give Illustrator's live trace. It will convert bitmap images to vector outlines. If things seem a little blotchy then tune the settings."

Live Trace is a feature that I have tried on dozens of images, but actually only been able to use on a few. It usually ends up being faster for me to hand-trace things (logos etc.) in Illustrator than it is to try to tweak the settings to get a good-looking Live Trace.

There's no harm in trying, but I have never gotten satisfactory results from Live Trace on a low-quality image of custom type to the point where I could use it at any serious scale. It fails to capture the nuances of the typeface (because they're not there to capture) and frequently introduces all kinds of other strange-looking artifacts.

It's tough to say without seeing a sample, but I'd think that Live Trace is unfortunately pretty unlikely to work acceptably on a text-heavy document -- but as you mention, OCR is a very viable option.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

arron lee
on Apr 27, 2013 at 2:46:09 am

I'm a green hand on this problem.
But I found an OCR component on the web. I want to know the difference between the normal one and this OCR component.
It is said that it is a professional tool that could be re-edited online according to your pwn requirements.
Did it help?

Sincerely,
Arron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]