ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Duplicating and rotating an object in increments around a central point

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joey campbellDuplicating and rotating an object in increments around a central point
by on Jan 16, 2013 at 11:08:03 pm

Hi I've created a 'rising sun' type image in after effects and my plan was to import all of the sunbeam paths from illustrator into after effects and then replace the illustrator beam with an individual animated beam. I don't think this will work as all of the illustrator beams will be imported as separate objects.

As a plan B - is it possible to copy and paste layers in AFX so as each time the layer is duplicated it rotates and moves slightly forming a circular pattern ? (I've tried doing the same way as you would in illustrator - by alt clicking on the rotate pivot point you can duplicate an image around itself in steps).

Any help would be great

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Duplicating and rotating an object in increments around a central point
by on Jan 16, 2013 at 11:19:03 pm

[joey campbell] "...my plan was to import all of the sunbeam paths from illustrator into after effects and then replace the illustrator beam with an individual animated beam. I don't think this will work as all of the illustrator beams will be imported as separate objects."

That will happen ONLY if the beams are on separate Illustrator layers: layers, not shapes or paths or whatever Illustrator calls 'em.

I think I'd import an illustrator document with the sun on one layer, and just ONE beam on a different layer. Then you can put the Anchor point at the origination point of the beam, animate the the beam with a mask, duplicate it, and then rotate the duplicated layers by just typing in the angle of rotation in the rotation property.

It should go pretty quickly.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Duplicating and rotating an object in increments around a central point
by on Jan 17, 2013 at 7:28:38 am

joey

While Importing Illustrator File, Import it as a Footage with Merged Layers option selected.

For animation:
1. Select your layer in Timeline.
2. Double click in Ellipse tool. This will create an Elliptical shape mask.
3. Give it a desired Feather Value say 50.
4. Now animate the Mask Expansion parameter.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

joey campbellRe: Duplicating and rotating an object in increments around a central point
by on Jan 17, 2013 at 11:30:43 am

Thanks Dave and Vishesh - thats great.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Duplicating and rotating an object in increments around a central point
by on Jan 17, 2013 at 11:32:00 am

Glad to help joey

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]