ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Copying Particular effect to a mask shape

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan McClurg
Copying Particular effect to a mask shape
on Jan 16, 2013 at 6:04:02 am

Hi again all,

I have a very specific question, and I'm not sure if it's even possible. I know that a particular effect can follow the point drawn with a motion sketch, and I've also seen tutorials on getting the effect to follow a mask path. However, what I want to know is: Can particular effect be applied to follow a specific shaped mask, instead of following one line of placed vertices?

To be more clear, I don't want the effect to follow one line of a trail. I want to create, say, a star-shape traced mask, and have the particular applied to the entire shape, then follow the shape, leaving a "star shaped trail" in its wake.

Is this possible? I feel like it should be, but I have yet to figure it out.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Copying Particular effect to a mask shape
on Jan 16, 2013 at 7:48:32 am

Bryan

It is Possible. See the image below :

Procedure:

1. Make star-shape using Star-Tool.
2. Copy the coordinates from Mask Path Parameter.
3. Paste to Position XY of Particular.
4. Now make another shape using Pen Tool from where the Star shape animation stops.
5. Again Copy the coordinates from Mask Path and paste to Position XY parameter after last key frame.

If you want to change the starting point of animation you can change the First Vertex (Right Click on vertex>Mask and Shape Path> Set First Vertex)of Star Shape Mask.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Bryan McClurg
Particular leaving a mask-shaped trail
on Jan 16, 2013 at 8:20:26 am

Vishesh,

Thank you for the input, but this is not what I'm asking about.

To try and be a little more concise, I want a particular effect to take the shape of a star, and I want the star to leave a trail of its own shape, not follow or leave a line-shaped trail.

To repeat, a star passes the screen, and the shape of that star leaves a trails behind it *in its shape*, not simply a trail of one line.

Is this possible?

Return to posts index

Bryan McClurg
Re: Particular leaving a mask-shaped trail
on Jan 16, 2013 at 8:31:22 am

To add, is there any kind of plugin that allows one to take a certain shaped mask, give it "3D layer" to move it back, forward, left, right, up or down, and wherever I move it I can leave a trail of its own shape?

Think about it like this: If you had a sparkler, but instead of a regular stick with one dot at the end that lights up, you had a sparkler designed in the shape of a triangle. The entire triangle is lit, and as you move it around, you leave the shape of that triangle in the air.

That is basically the kind of effect I'm looking for. I thought Particular effect might leave this trail, but I realize that it only goes from start to end point in one mask shape. I want the entire Particular to take a certain shape instead of follow a line, then leave a trail of that shape.

Sorry for repeating myself. I don't mean to sound condescending toward anyone reading. I just want to be as concise as possible.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Jan 16, 2013 at 8:54:39 am

No problem Bryan.

Are you looking for something like this :

You can use Stroke Effect instead and then Echo Effect.

Example: 5242_starshapeechoeffect_CS_6.zip

Also have a look at this : http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1030206

I have used particular to create colorful trails of mushroom.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Bryan McClurg
on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:34:15 am

Thank you. The colorful mushroom trail you did is almost exactly what I'm looking for!

Now that we have that established, I have one final question. Below is a video that shows exactly what I want the "trail" to look like.

The trail that is left by those bullets - a transparent, "liquid" sort of texture - is what I want for the star, to have that trail expand and disappear as the star goes along. The actual bullet trail in that video was done with Particular, but can it be done when tampering with Stroke Effect and/or Echo Effect?

Thanks again for the great feedback thus far.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:53:27 am

Bryan

I duplicated the layer, Removed Echo effect so that it will just have the Star shape and then applied CC Vector Blur on Echo layer.

Using several effects like Displacement Map Different Blur effects, you can create the same effect.

Though I would suggest you to use Particular as the trails are too long and particular would do it easily.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Bryan McClurg
on Jan 18, 2013 at 3:55:30 am

Vishesh,

Thank you for all your help. My problem was solved! By using your template for the mushroom with Particular, I figured out how to have an image fly toward the screen, leaving a trail behind it. I didn't end up using Displacement. Instead I used an Adjustment Layer with Vector Blur attached, mapped to the Particular null, and then placed a Fast Blur inside the Particular null as well, thus giving a warped effect like you see below.

Again, thank you very much! I made sure to mark down the instructions on how I accomplished this, so I will have it for next time I need it. I might make a tutorial at some point.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Jan 18, 2013 at 10:32:55 am

Always glad to help

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index