ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Create a "reflection only" layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul RoperCreate a "reflection only" layer
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:01:58 pm

Hello.
I am trying to create a reflection cast by some words I've positioned above a table (words = generated in AE, table = in the footage). I've positioned a solid "on" the table (with the aid of the camera tracker) and I've set the reflectivity to a high value, and it's reflecting the text nicely. If I wanted to cast shadows on the table, I could set the shadows to "only". I can't set the reflections to "only", adn have tried tweaking all the material settings to make the solid behave like a piece of (non-refracting) glass placed on the tabletop. I've also tried making it various shades of black/white/grey, to no avail. The solid always shows up as a large, translucent black rectangle.

Any suggestions, please?

- Paul

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Create a "reflection only" layer
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:09:39 pm

Paul

Try using Blending Modes (say Multiply and overlay).

If there is a hard edge around the solid then you can make an oval mask(select solid layer and double click on Ellipse Tool) and give it a high feather value.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Paul RoperRe: Create a "reflection only" layer
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:13:17 pm

That was my first thought - use an 'add' blending mode, but blend modes are not available when using Raytraced 3D.

I could use a mask, but there must be a way of making a solid completely transparent (other than the reflections)? Maybe the problem is that I want a 2D layer (the original footage) to show through it. I might try positioning it as a 3D layer. Not ideal.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:20:40 pm

Nope, made no difference (making my background plate a 3D layer and pushing it way back in z behind all the other layers). The solid still appears as a black lump, even if I change the colour of the solid to white. I assume it's because it's reflecting the "nothingness" that is most of the AE universe. I tried making the background colour of the comp white instead of black - but no change.

I even tried adding a keyer to key out the black from that layer, but it just keyed out the whole thing, reflections and all.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Create a "reflection only" layer
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:23:06 pm

Is it possible to just duplicate your text, flip it & position it where the reflection would be? Then use masks to constrain it to the table and mess with the opacity to blend it in? Probably not ideal, but might get the job done.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:25:31 pm

Yes, I might have to do that (duplicate & flip text).

Interestingly, exactly the same thing is being discussed today on another forum!:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4994672

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:30:10 pm

The flippiness is not ideal because instead of a mirror image, I've made a solid thing, so it picks up the highlights and shadows directly from the lights. In reality, a reflected letter O would be showing a lot of shadow in the reflection, because we're seeing the underside of it, but because it's a 'real' O, it's got highlights on from the lights.

Ah well, nobody will notice!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Create a "reflection only" layer
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 6:31:58 pm

this tutorial should get you the kind of reflection that you are after. of course you'll still need to composite it on the table.

another option... render the raytraced 3d relfection, then bring it back in to composite using blending modes.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2013 at 6:47:31 pm

Kevin, I think you might have missed out a link to the tutorial in your message!

Return to posts index

Chris TomberlinRe: Create a "reflection only" layer
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:34:23 pm

Kevin,

I have this exact same need. I don't see a link in your post though, could you provide one?

Thanks

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:39:05 pm

We should all suggest to Adobe that they implement a 'reflection only' option in a future release.

- Paul

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:55:08 pm

....via this link:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Maybe one of the Adobe people (Todd maybe?) will see this thread.

- Paul

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Create a "reflection only" layer
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:56:06 pm

sorry... here's the link

http://qubahq.com/2010/06/tutorial-100-accurate-reflections/

i should note that the process for the true reflections is fairly elaborate, involving 2 cameras and precomps, but it does give true reflections for 3d particle systems, and i assume it will work with raytrace 3d.

i don't have cs6, but can you precomp the raytraced elements and bring them back into the main comp, and then use blending modes?

but reflections only would be a worthwhile feature...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jan 16, 2013 at 11:14:19 am

Thanks for that link I'll take a look at it later.

Yes, I thought about doing a pre-comp and bringing it in as a 2D layer with an add or screen mode, but went with the cheating 'copy & flip the text in the y-axis' method instead. Not 100% accurate, but did the job.

- Paul

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Create a "reflection only" layer
by on Jan 24, 2013 at 8:54:57 pm

Hey Paul,

Sorry to bug ya (didn't mean to bug ya), but can you drop me a line when you get a chance? tim@creativecow.net

Much appreciated, and apologies again for the interruption...

Best,
Tim

PS. Nothing official. You're not in trouble. LOL

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]