ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating smooth camera motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam BarenblatCreating smooth camera motion
by on Jan 13, 2013 at 11:32:51 pm

Hey there everyone!

This is actually something that I've been wanted to confront for a while now.

I have a long camera motion that goes from point A to point B, but between those two points it needs to weave from side to side on the X axis. I've created two key frames to do this along the track. However, the motion is jerky. Ease and Whizz is not going to be a viable solution since it affects the entire keyframe (causing the camera to slow down and speed up at every keyframe) which I don't want it to do. What I want to do is have an easy ease that only affects the X position, not the Z position obviously. Does anyone know of a solution (or expression that could easy ease on only certain position parameters of each keyframe?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Creating smooth camera motion
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 4:28:09 am

[Adam Barenblat] "However, the motion is jerky."

Have you edited the spatial path to your liking? Aside from temporal interpolation you might want to adjust the motion path itself using the pen tool to pull out bezier curves.

If by "jerky" you really mean that there's noise in the animation (as there may be in a hand held shot) then you could try the smooth() expression.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Creating smooth camera motion
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 10:55:22 am

1. Parent the camera to a Null object.
2. Apply Separate XYZ Position(Effects>Transform>Separate XYZ Position) to Null object and then animate the Null as required.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved