ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RAM Preview bar turns blue!!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle CoxRAM Preview bar turns blue!!!
by on Jan 13, 2013 at 2:35:13 am

Hey everyone...

Practicing in AE with some 3d Titles today. Basically have some text, a 'Particle World' effect and a 3d camera. Camera moves from facing side of text to facing the front.

I noticed when RAM Previewing this footage that it only renders about 5 seconds or so before the Green RAM Preview bar turns blue (saving it to disk). Thus, I lose my RAM Preview for that section after only a few seconds!

What could be the cause of this? Is this just a result of working with particle-heavy 3d footage? Are their any settings I can change to allow AE to save more than just a small bit of RAM Preview at a time? I've never encountered this problem before stepping into the 3d realm...

Thanks and Gig em'

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: RAM Preview bar turns blue!!!
by on Jan 13, 2013 at 4:02:14 am

Lower your comp rez (half perhaps) and magnification levels. Switch off layers that are not integral to your current needs or solo only those that you need. Use the Region of Interest feature to only preview a sub-section of the Comp Panel. Lower particle count if necessary.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Kyle CoxRe: RAM Preview bar turns blue!!!
by on Jan 13, 2013 at 6:45:58 am

I appreciate the suggestions, and will try them out next time I open this project.

But more-so I am wondering about the concept behind this event? What causes AE to do this? Does this happen on all effect heavy compositions?

I also might not have my disk cache folder set up properly (not connected to the external harddrive I usually use). Perhaps this could be the cause...(doesn't do it on less 'heavy' comps tho)

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: RAM Preview bar turns blue!!!
by on Jan 13, 2013 at 7:05:37 am

Green bars denote frames that are rendered and are within the confines of your RAM chips. Blue bars denote frames that have been placed onto your HD, from RAM, in the location defined by your cache prefs settings.

If your green bars bail out, to appear blue, then AE isn't able to fit more rendered frames onto your RAM chips. Rather than throwing those precious green bars away, AE gently nestles them into your cache folder.

As for your disk cache, place it on your speediest drive.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Kyle CoxRe: RAM Preview bar turns blue!!!
by on Jan 13, 2013 at 8:38:07 am

Thank you very much Roland for your helpful responses! Much appreciated...have since closed up some programs (TONS of FireFox windows), thus clearing up some RAM and everything now works great.

Great advice on the Disk Cache drive as well, will keep that in mind.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]