ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scale text along a path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad MagnusScale text along a path
by on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:10:12 pm

I'm attempting create some 2D text that mimics a 3D text effect. I'd like to make it appear like the text on the left is further back in z space and the characters on the right are closer to the camera. I'd prefer to do it in 2D as I'm using iExpressions to generate random text (1's and 0's), and I need to have the text following a path (arc).

I understand the text on a path, but I can't seem to find a way to make the first character say 16px and the last character 32px. Is there any way to do that?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Scale text along a path
by on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:15:41 pm

Could you use the Obsolete > Basic 3D effect?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Brad MagnusRe: Scale text along a path
by on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:22:49 pm

Thanks. But that isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I suppose I should have posted this image first, but this is from another designer created in illustrator.

http://screencast.com/t/MgZXuvCIlnp

The basic 3D doesn't ad very much perspective

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:39:30 pm

Is the text moving on the path or stationary?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:46:48 pm

Moving along the path using iExpressions.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:40:08 pm

I was able to create something similar using some text animators, I'm not sure it's exactly what you want/need. But it might be a starting point for you---or another COW person who knows text animators better than me. If you create a long enough string of text, it would look like it's going forever.

5210_scalingtext.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 5:41:11 pm

That's what I was looking for. I've not used the text animators as much as I should have. I'm not sure exactly how you did that with two animators, but I'll have to do some more training on the subject.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 14, 2013 at 2:07:53 pm

Sorry, I should of named the animators and explained what I did. Animator 1 ramps up the scale along the path. I added a scale animator and set the scale to 21%, the ramp is achieved by opening up the advanced properties and changing the shape. If you turn off animator 2(toggle eyeball) you will see animator 1 just gives you the finished effect. Animator 2 is about the animation.

Read more about Shape

For Animator 2 is pretty straight forward. I added a position animator and then to the that animator I added a scale animator. Under advanced I changed the "Based On" to words because I wanted everything to be effected at once. So as the offset moves, it moves the "word" though the position -1250 and 0%(starting values) text to final value(the final shape we created in animator 1).

Animators aren't my strength and what you were trying to do was actually fairly complex(least for me). If you want to learn more, check out the Andrew Davis Tutorials on animators, he covers quite a lot. After Effects basics tutorials by Andrew Devis. The text stuff starts at Tutorial 37.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 14, 2013 at 2:59:45 pm

Thank you again John! I do need to spend some time training on those animators.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]