ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Rendering Problem - Text & Vectors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Deborah McFarlinAE Rendering Problem - Text & Vectors
by on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:03:31 pm

I'm a newbie working in AE CS4. The footage I'm using are QuickTime clips in 1280x720, 23.976 fps, 1.00 PAR. The footage and JPEG images used in the project look fine when rendered in the Render Que at: Best settings, Full resolution, Lossless - QuickTime, H.264 compression at 1280x720, 23.98 fps, square pixels BUT the text and vector graphics look jagged. The PAR correction button is turned on and the Continuously Rasterize is turned on for the text and vector layers. When I view the video from DVD on my 40" widescreen (16:9) TV both the text and vector graphics look jagged or bitmapped. The final output is for a 36" widescreen TV,(16:9).

UPDATE: I created a new comp at 1920x1080 and took my old 1280x720 comp and used Transform > Fit to Comp to see if scaling it improved the output of the text/vectors. Today I plan to render at Best settings, Full resolution, Lossless - QuickTime, H.264 compression at 1920x1080, 23.98 fps, square pixels to see if I can lose the jagged edges. If the target is 36" flat screen TV and it's 1080p, do I need to render at the larger size? I must be missing something...

I would love help and any hints for what the problem might be. THANKS!

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: AE Rendering Problem - Text & Vectors
by on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:38:03 pm

H.264 compression at 1920x1080

H264 encoder do interframe(or temporal) compression. I would suggest to use Media Encoder for rendering.

Add and manage items in the encoding queue

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Deborah McFarlinRe: AE Rendering Problem - Text & Vectors
by on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:48:17 pm

Thanks, I'll try rendering in Media Encoder. Do I need to render at the scaled 1920x1080 dimensions or should I keep my original comp as designed at 1280x720. My target is a 36" flat screen TV.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Rendering Problem - Text & Vectors
by on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:33:04 pm

[Deborah McFarlin] "The footage I'm using are QuickTime clips in 1280x720, 23.976 fps, 1.00 PAR. The footage and JPEG images used in the project look fine when rendered in the Render Que at: Best settings, Full resolution, Lossless - QuickTime, H.264 compression at 1280x720, 23.98 fps, square pixels BUT the text and vector graphics look jagged. The PAR correction button is turned on and the Continuously Rasterize is turned on for the text and vector layers."

Look at your frame rates: they don't match. That tiny amount of difference may look insignificant, but in reality it's very significant. Work at 23.976 and render at 23.976, and things will probably change for the better. I'd continue to Render at 1280x720.

Incidentally, a square-pixel comp doesn't need PAR correction, and an AE text layer doesn't need the Continuously Rasterize switch toggled.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:50:15 pm

All the clips are at 23.976 except for one which is at 29.97. Can I use Interpret Footage to change the rate to 23.976? Then you're suggesting I render the output at 23.976, right? Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 4:04:27 pm

Oooohh, you don't want to mix frame rates. Very bad idea. If it's no big deal that the 29.97 footage run a little slow -- which could mess up synced audio in the clip -- do NOT conform the footage to 23.976.

I don't know what you have besides AE, but Apple's Compressor will do a fair job of frame rate CONVERSION, which is the process of changing a clip's frame rate without changing its duration.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 4:07:22 pm

There's no audio in that clip. Should I still convert it outside of AE? Does Premiere do that?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 4:18:57 pm

I don't know what to tell you:
I don't know if the slightly slower speed of the clip would be acceptable to you.
I don't know if the 29.97 footage was shot interlaced or progressive-scan.
I don't know if it's 720, like the rest of the clips, or 1080.

All of the above have a big bearing on how you proceed.

And you probably should ask about Premiere & frame rate conversion on the COW's Premiere forum for a more authoritative answer.

You should also know that there's a third-party plugin be Re:Vision called Twixtor which does pretty good frame rate conversions, but it costs $600.
If you're not especially picky about the quality, look for a tutorial here on the COW that uses uses After Effects and its Time Warp effect that may do the trick for you for free.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Conrad OlsonRe: AE Rendering Problem - Text & Vectors
by on Jan 11, 2013 at 7:58:08 pm

If you are making a DVD from your QuickTime it will be down sampled from HD to SD and it will always look pretty crappy compared to what you started with.

Is there no other way of playing the video back? From a computer, or an Apple TV or something? That way you could keep your HD resolution and your image would look much better, even at 1280x720

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 8:14:00 pm

Should I be rendering to a different file type and using a different type of compression? The target is a 36" flat screen, it's being used as part of a display.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 8:20:42 pm

Is there any other way of playing back the video on the display, other than DVD?

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 8:29:08 pm

Um, what are you eXpected to DELIVER? What's the playback device?

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 8:50:54 pm

What's the issue with playback of a video using a DVD player? The plan was to use a DVD player and continuously loop the video that is display on a 36" flat screen which is mounted on the wall as part of a public display. So the DVD is somehow compromising the HD quality? What are the alternatives? Please explain...

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:07:24 pm

[Deborah McFarlin] "What's the issue with playback of a video using a DVD player? "

"A DVD player is STANDARD DEFINITION, even though it can be authored as either a 4x3 or a 16x9 (the same aspect ratio as HD) picture.

It has less definition than either your AE comp or the display device you're using. So we're unsure if you're seeing problems in AE or just seeing the reduceced definition inherent in the file itself.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:20:05 pm

I had no idea! What are my options? So is there a HD DVD player? I already tried a laptop but the video wasn't playing back in real-time.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:31:43 pm

You could make a Blu-Ray disk if you had 1) a Blu-Ray burner and 2) a Blu-Ray player. Blu-Ray authoring applications exist for both Mac and Win.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:44:09 pm

I have a Blu ray player. To burn a Blu ray disc do you need a hardware burner and a software app or can you burn with just an app? Also do I need special type of Blu ray media/blank discs?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:04:47 pm

You will need a hardware blu-ray burner and specific blank blu-ray discs. I think you can use Adobe Encore to author the disc.

When you tired to used the laptop to play the file back what format was the file you were trying to play? If you had rendered it out uncompressed most laptops would struggle to play it. You can take that uncompressed file and use Adobe Media Encoder (different application part of the CS Suite) to compress that file into a H.264 format. This will make a much smaller file size that should still look pretty good and play back better. You could then loop this in your media player.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2013 at 11:34:57 pm

Okay, so it sounds like the laptop is the path of least resistance if I can reduce the file so real-time playback is feasible. Thanks everyone, for all your advise and support!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]