ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion tracking and rotation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik BreurMotion tracking and rotation
by on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:48:28 am

Hi all,

First thanks for this great website and forum it helped me with many of my questions.
But now I have come across something I'm quite struggling with.

I am working on a project where I will be shooting video resume's and as a personal touch I want to have the candidates holding up a sign with there name and job they are looking for. Only I wanna add that in digitally. So as a test I shot myself holding up a empty piece of paper with only a large dot in the middle.
Loaded this up in After Effects and start tracking it. Applied my text layer to the null object with the tracking data only to find out that the text doesn't rotate with the paper.

I ticked the rotation box now but I have trouble finding a place for the second tracking point.
Should i make a extra marker on the paper to be tracked by that point or is there a other solution I haven't thought about?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Motion tracking and rotation
by on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:28:28 pm

I believe then when you choose rotation you get 2 boxes, placing another marker on the paper will make the job a lot easier and give you a much better track.

Another solution would be to use Mocha, which would does a great job with stuff like what you are describing. Do a google search for mocha and check out the tutorials on there Imagineer website.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Motion tracking and rotation
by on Jan 11, 2013 at 12:27:31 am

As John says, mocha will be a more robust tool. You should be mindful that your markers will either need to be removed procedurally or superimposed by your insert layer.

If you're using mocha and the edges of your card/sign are sufficiently distinct from its surrounding, you should be able to preclude the use of artificial markers.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Erik BreurRe: Motion tracking and rotation
by on Jan 16, 2013 at 12:20:39 pm

Thanks for the responses. I am gonna try to put a extra mark on the board and see if I can track it that way. I don't mind removing the markers since its only gonna be a 5 second clip and most of the frames will be standing still with a slight motion.

If this fails I will check out Mocha.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved