ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Using SWFs in After Effects CS6 issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ros CossinsUsing SWFs in After Effects CS6 issue
by on Jan 9, 2013 at 11:37:14 pm

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered these issues when using SWF files in After Effects CS6.

They have been exported to layers from Flash CS6 using a script. Importing the SWF files the first time into After Effects and using them presents no issues. This workflow intends for assets to be easily updateable via editing assets and re-exporting them. However, once the SWFs have been updated and reloaded in AE, strange problems pop up.

When trying to mask a layer, the Pen tool automatically becomes the Add Vertex tool after the first point, and no matter where I click, the second point snaps to the original point. Any other clicks result in random vertex placements. I can't select individual vertices, only line segments between two vertices, and I can't deselect the mask by clicking outside of it in the comp window. The layer can only be re-positioned by using the arrow keys, because deselecting the layer and then attempting to drag it results in selecting a line segment of the mask and then moving that, for some reason.

I can get around these problems by using the shape tool and adding vertices to it, but that's annoying! It also doesn't fix the issue of moving the layer or selecting individual vertices after creating the mask.

This issue seems to be embedded in the project - the exact same problem occurs on all other workstations in the office opening this project now.

There is another issue which I have seen others post about but only gotten a workaround solution - updating an SWF file while it is open in After Effects makes it break - there are sometimes missing frames, or some layers export absolutely nothing, or will just be missing some parts of some frames. Closing AE, re-exporting and then write-protecting the files stops this from happening, but it is still an undesirable glitch to happen between two (supposedly compatible) Adobe products.

Thankyou in advance!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved