ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

I need linear wipe fixed to a 3d enabled text layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe fellows
I need linear wipe fixed to a 3d enabled text layer
on Jan 9, 2013 at 12:25:48 pm

Hi ,
I'm trying to create a kinetic typographical animation. I want to keep the number of layers to a minimum as there will be a lot of words. The effect I want is the text popping up from nowhere, like an old cash register. I figured rather than using a solid as a track matte for revealing each word, I would simply keyframe a linear wipe to oppose the vertical movement of my text layer. It worked perfectly, however, when I enabled 3D and started moving my camera around to add some movement the linear wipe slipped from the text layer as if no longer attached to it, its the same with the CC linear Sweep. If I can get this to work it will save a lot of time and layers making re-versioning far easier. I'm on CS6

Regards
Joe

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: I need linear wipe fixed to a 3d enabled text layer
on Jan 9, 2013 at 1:03:22 pm

The quickest way to fix this would be to precompose(shift+cntl+c) your text and apply the effects in the precomp. Enable 3D to the precomps in the main comp. You will be adding a step to your process though.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Herbie Humperdink
on Jan 9, 2013 at 1:21:40 pm

This will happen always. I always try to precomp my text layers first. John is right.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jan 9, 2013 at 11:50:46 pm

Always precomping text layers isn't an ideal workflow. Your issue is caused by not paying attention to AE's render pipeline. Text Layers, by default are Collapsed Transformed layers. Such layers have a render order defined by Mask, Transformations and Effects.

In your specific case, rotation values are a result of your camera and 3D layer's orientation. FWIW, you will face similar issues with a 2D Text Layer if you rotated your text layer.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]