ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Online HD Video Comp Settings?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Walter
Best Online HD Video Comp Settings?
on Jan 8, 2013 at 11:09:51 am

Hello Again,

My second post on this forum and already I feel like I've learn't something. I'm struggling to find an exact answer to this question and I am concerned because I don't want to spend weeks on an animation and find I've done it wrong so in a nutshell my question is...

Which is the best composition settings for a HD video (which will only ever be viewed online - on a computer monitor)? It could potentially be hosted on Vimeo or Youtube but will more likely be hosted on my own site. Is their a maximum display resolution (comp settings (I'm assuming these are related)). Also any advice for what I should be outputting to?

I'm mainly asking dimensions so I can prep my various screenshots and images as the whole video will be made up of still imagery (no actual footage). Obviously I don't want to spend ages prepping and upsizing still to allow for zooms and other animations at 1080 x 1920 if 720 x 1080 would be fine? Is there a maximum that a computer screen will handle? Will the video be hard to see if the user chooses to view it in a player window as opposed to full screening it?

I'm sure all this info is available but I'm having trouble finding it or knowing what to search for. If anyone could offer some advice or point me to a resource where I can answer my own questions I would be very thankful indeed!

Many Thanks Again!

Chris

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Best Online HD Video Comp Settings?
on Jan 8, 2013 at 1:06:09 pm

My thoughts on this issue is if it's not that big of a hassl, work in the largest size possible to start. It doesn't take much to make something smaller, but once you have started in 720 it's going to be a hassle if you change your mind and decide to work in 1080.

Also, vimeo and youtube will create 720 versions for you once upload to there site.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Chris Walter
on Jan 8, 2013 at 1:47:07 pm

Hello,

Many thanks to you John Cuevas, that has put my mind at ease somewhat... I will work at the highest and then downsize if need be at the end.

Have you got any recommendations for frame rates for the web? Or will 24 fps suffice? As i previously mentioned, the video will be made completely of static elements, does this make a difference?

Once again, Thanks very much for your input, brilliant to get a fast and concise answer!

Chris

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 8, 2013 at 1:58:55 pm

Unless things have changed recently, youtube and vimeo caps the frame rates at 30FPS, so that would be the limit. 24FPS plays fine on both, so if it's all static and you don't have video that will cause issues later(for instance we shoot at 60p, so 24FPS is always an issue)---then 24FPS should work really well.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 8, 2013 at 3:20:54 pm

As long as I'm working in the US, I generally prefer working at 29.97 fps. That's compatible with domestic video standards, and it's easier to avoid motion judder/strobing on fast moves like camera pans than 23.976/24.0 fps. (Think of the way objects look on fast pans at the movies.)

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Walter
on Jan 8, 2013 at 5:00:12 pm

Thanks again for your answers guys.

Very helpful indeed...

Walter, will 24 fps cause me issue do you think then as I will be doing some relatively quick panning but only over static images not actual footage.

One of the team in my office has since thrown into the mix his concerns about file sizes / loading times so now I'm considering 720 HD as suggested by himself. I obviously want to get the best of everything and feel like I need to make my decisions as well as size my images accordingly before I begin the creation of the video (which is long over-do to be honest).

Has anyone got any straight up answer to what I should use. Surely 1080 and 720 won't be that different on a computer screen? Its relatively unlikely that most of our end users who will be viewing the video have some huge resolution monitors, although some may.

My criteria are as follows (again apologies for the simplicity of my descriptions):

Needs to load fast (so relatively small file size, also I don't think we will be uploading it (although we may) it is more likely we will host it on our own website).

Needs to look crisp (no pixelation of image or text)

Needs to be fluid, as little juddering as possible (none if I can help it)

Needs to be HD (1080 x 1920 or 720 x 1080? Are these both HD? From my research I believe they are)

I don't know if this will help at all but I have included a short test clip (6 seconds long - 1920 x 1080)...

Im looking for a balance to be honest.

Any more advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I really need to get going on this but don't want to arrive at the end to find that it is 50000 GB or hideously pixelated or something like that...

Also thanks to everyone who has commented on my posts, your advice has been very helpful, clear, concise and relatively easy for a beginner like myself to understand.

Thanks Again

Chris

P.S. - Here's a link with a test video in it. Some more info is on the video thread!

5178_comp1.mp4.zip

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 8, 2013 at 6:52:46 pm

[Chris Walter] "Walter, will 24 fps cause me issue do you think then as I will be doing some relatively quick panning but only over static images not actual footage. "

It doesn't matter whether you're using real footage or not. The higher the frame rate, the smoother a motion appears. The lower the frame rate, the jerkier that same motion appears.

If your motion is subtle enough, you can show it at lower frame rates. Larger (faster) motions suffer.

I watched your linked video, and I think it's suffering a bit from the lower frame rate -- the objects stutter/judder/strobe a bit. Try enabling motion blur and rendering at 24 fps, or try rendering at 29.97 fps instead of 24 to see the differences I'm talking about.

[Chris Walter] "One of the team in my office has since thrown into the mix his concerns about file sizes / loading times so now I'm considering 720 HD as suggested by himself."

For HD, I always work in 1920x1080 and scale down to 1280x720 if necessary. This is easier than going the other way.

[Chris Walter] "Surely 1080 and 720 won't be that different on a computer screen? Its relatively unlikely that most of our end users who will be viewing the video have some huge resolution monitors, although some may."

Browse YouTube and Vimeo to see the difference. I'd guess that a good number of users today have 1920x1080 screens.

[Chris Walter] "Needs to be HD (1080 x 1920 or 720 x 1080? Are these both HD? From my research I believe they are)"

HD may be 1920x1080 or 1280x720.

[Chris Walter] "Needs to load fast (so relatively small file size, also I don't think we will be uploading it (although we may) it is more likely we will host it on our own website)."

I'd consider a host like Vimeo Pro that will handle all the hard stuff for you (the video hosting, player, etc.) but allow you to embed it directly in your own web page. This will make your lives easier and generally improve the end users' experience (unless you have some killer web hosting).

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Chris Walter
on Jan 9, 2013 at 11:06:30 am

Hello Again,

Walter, thank you for your help, you've really helped me understand a few basics which I was struggling with (even though there are so many resources online). Many thanks for taking the time to view the video test I uploaded.

You say about the objects in the video stuttering/juddering/strobe-ing a bit. I am going to try what you suggested.

One question regarding this your suggestions though; Is it worth going with one or the other (24 fps and adding motion blur OR rendering at 29.97) or would I be better off going the whole way and increasing the fps and adding motion blur. e.g. 29.97 FPS with motion blur?

As for your other suggestions, I think I will go with 1920 x 1080 as you suggested and also I think we have decided to go with your suggestion of a Vimeo PRO as I can see this saving a lot of time and headaches later on, especially in terms of finding a video player that works across all browsers, supports html5 and is compatible with users viewing our site and video with mobile devices (10% of monthly users so my colleague tells me) - Vimeo's embedded player does all these things.

Many thanks for all your help.

Chris Walter

Return to posts index

Chris Walter
on Jan 9, 2013 at 11:30:41 am

Also Walter,

I have just tried the same video with various different settings such as 24 fps with motion blur, and 29.97 fps with and without motion blur and to be honest, I'm struggling to see any difference? The text seems to go choppy I agree but I'm not sure what to do about this...

I think my colleagues were relatively happy with the test video in the first place but I am a bit of a perfectionist and as I have said before I dread the thought of making the whole video and then it not looking good...

Perhaps its just my untrained eye but I don't know...

Again,

Many Thanks for your help.

Chris Walter

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 9, 2013 at 8:01:34 pm

[Chris Walter] "I have just tried the same video with various different settings such as 24 fps with motion blur, and 29.97 fps with and without motion blur and to be honest, I'm struggling to see any difference? The text seems to go choppy I agree but I'm not sure what to do about this..."

Can you post another sample clip?

Sometimes you have to really crank up the motion blur if you want to use it to try to smooth over big moves.

Personally, I prefer to change the motion where possible than cover it with enormous moblur. A cinematographer would minimize this motion strobing by moving the camera along with the subject. Background elements may strobe badly, but at least the foreground element (where you're trying to direct your audience's eye) won't.

I think motion design is highly interdisciplinary: traditional animation, graphic design, cinematography, lighting, scenery, coloring, direction and choreography. There's a lot for us to learn!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Chris Walter
on Jan 10, 2013 at 10:40:11 am

Hi again Walter,

Thanks again for your response, I don't know but it may be worth mentioning that I've actually altered a massive image's scale, position and transformed its x, y, z (after making it a 3D layer of course) to achieve the panning and zooming (as opposed to using a camera and animating that (Probably the total wrong way of achieving what I've done...)).

Also I turned on motion blur (on the layers and the comp) but I didn't realise you can alter the intensity of the motion blur. I will do some research into that.

Here's another file (I up'ed both the frame rate to 29.97fps and added motion blur.)

--> 5202_comp1129.97fpswithmotionblur.mp4.zip

Return to posts index

Chris Walter
on Jan 10, 2013 at 10:50:58 am

After watching that clip again,

I would say that it has improved it somewhat, I'd still like your advice/opinion on it though.

Also the file size has obviously jumped with the increased frame rate and additional motion blur.

The 24 fps w/ No motion blur - 2.8mb (20 second clip (6 seconds of motion))

The 29.97 fps w/ Motion blur - 3.9mb (20 second clip (6 seconds of motion))

Do you have any recommendations for render settings (baring in mind that the video will be be being posted to a vimeo PRO account). After this video is complete I can see myself having to produce a range of tutorial videos as well and the initial PRO subscription storage is 50GB. This first video will probably be 2-3 minutes long and am concerned that my employer may end up paying out for additional storage space (which obviously is not ideal).

Any suggestions to keep my videos relatively small file sizes in the rendering out process. Anything I could potentially cut corners on which will help with this without making quality or motion crummy?

Many Thanks (Once Again)

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]