ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Spin a 3d object in aftereffects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TImi BooseSpin a 3d object in aftereffects
by on Jan 7, 2013 at 2:30:54 am

Hi - I created this vector drawing of Sit n Spin and want to make the bottom part rotate in the proper perspective. Is this possible? I've tried making it 3d and rotating x,y,z, but none of it works right - any ideas?

File not found - Bad serial number - the problem could be this, that or the other...

Return to posts index

Herbie HumperdinkRe: Spin a 3d object in aftereffects
by on Jan 7, 2013 at 3:23:44 am

You could import the image without the pattern on the top. Then import the top pattern without perspective, rotate the layer, then prevomp, make the payer 3D and match the perspective needed. Then you need to mask the part that gets occluded by the center pin

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: Spin a 3d object in aftereffects
by on Jan 7, 2013 at 6:16:50 am

I 100% agree with Herbie.

I'm sure you noticed when you started rotating your flat vector around all it did was spin around like a picture on a turn table. So you'll need to ask yourself: what makes the toy ride look like it's spinning from that angle? Luckily it's really simple: It's the decals on the top that need to rotate. So just follow Herbie's advice and get rid of the decals on your illustration and use that as a base layer. Then draw the decals flat and import that as another layer. Then you'll need to make a shape layer with the pen tool in AE, in the shape of the center part of the toy, set it as a matte, and put this layer above the decals. I would add a little motion blur if it fits the treatment.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Spin a 3d object in aftereffects
by on Jan 7, 2013 at 1:48:25 pm

You got a solution in the previous post answers. However, if you want to go the 3d route, you can either build (or download) a 3d model of your Sit n Spin, import that in AE using Invigorator Pro or Element 3d and animate the 3d object spinning.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

TImi BooseRe: Spin a 3d object in aftereffects
by on Jan 7, 2013 at 4:48:28 pm

ok thanks - so I need to draw it flat in illustrator - if anyone has any advice on how to do that easily, let me know - I'm working on it - may take a while...

File not found - Bad serial number - the problem could be this, that or the other...

Return to posts index

by on Jan 7, 2013 at 5:03:55 pm

Just the decals.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

by on Jan 7, 2013 at 6:11:44 pm

I was bored at work so I spent a little time animating your still. I know AE can be a little confusing at first.

Here is a video of what I came up with:

SitNSpin Video

I added a little rotational wiggle to the toy too; I think without it, it looks like the decals are spinning around but not the toy. The rotational wiggle is an 'expression' (little line of code) that is attached to the rotation parameter.

Here is the project file:

5173_sitnspincollectedproject.zip

I collected the After Effects project and posted it here. You can dig into the project and see how I put it together. I of course don't have access to your Illustrator file, so I had to hack up the screen grab you originally posted. So just use clean Illustrator assets instead of what I did. You should be able to see the principles of what's occurring.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

by on Jan 7, 2013 at 6:25:40 pm

Wow Kevin! I'm impressed! It can be done and fast!
Ok I'm going to see if i can do it.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 9, 2013 at 8:50:56 pm

ok - I did it! Thanks for sending that file - it really helped to see how you did it....
I actually did mine without masking anything out - I just put the pattern layer underneath the center post.
Here is my video.
Thanks again!!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 9, 2013 at 9:06:07 pm

sitspin

Return to posts index

by on Jan 9, 2013 at 10:15:35 pm

Looks good. Glad I could help.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]