ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS5 lighting after rotoscoping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel SnyderAfter Effects CS5 lighting after rotoscoping
by on Jan 6, 2013 at 8:42:21 pm

I am doing a project that required me to rotoscope out a computer encasing from the rest of the video it was a part of to change the background to a flat white background. I have done so but now I am need to add some extra lighting on the computer casing because it is to dark against the white background. First, is this even possible? If it is how do I do it? I have tried adding a light but it seems to only affect the white background I have added.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

D

Return to posts index

Herbie HumperdinkRe: After Effects CS5 lighting after rotoscoping
by on Jan 6, 2013 at 9:25:01 pm

You probably need to add some sort of light wrap. Here is how I do it, you need to first duplicate your layer :

1- Make sure you precomp the layer on top
2- Apply a blur
3- Inver Alpha
4- Fill with color white (because your background is white)
5- Apply a CC composite and set to stencil alpha (or silouette, I always forget which is the one)
6- Set it to add or screen

Let me know if this makes sense

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: After Effects CS5 lighting after rotoscoping
by on Jan 6, 2013 at 9:30:44 pm

Lights only affect 3D layers that have their "Accepts Lights" property set to 'On.' Once your layer is a 3D layer you can press 'aa' to reveal the material options where this property resides.

However, you might consider using color correction effects to lighten up your footage instead. These are generally better for changing the overall look of footage. Read up on the Color Correction > Levels or Color Correction > Curves effect.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Daniel SnyderRe: After Effects CS5 lighting after rotoscoping
by on Jan 6, 2013 at 10:26:20 pm

Thank You! This is a much easier process then working with a light in After Effects. You have saved me so much time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]