ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

External hard drive and cold weather question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bert ettlemanExternal hard drive and cold weather question
by on Jan 6, 2013 at 5:30:28 pm

I just bought a hard drive which was shipped to me. Living in the upper midwest, the weather has been 20 deg Farenheight during the days that the hard drive was in transit. When I checked the manufacturer web site regarding maintaining the drive properly, they say not to keep the drive below 40 degrees.

1)Have I put the hard drive at risk by shipping it in this extrememely cold weather which contradicts the manufacturer recomended temperature?

2)Can shipping an item like a hard drive in a small box as it was shipped from the retailer, jeapardize the inegrity of it?

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: External hard drive and cold weather question
by on Jan 6, 2013 at 9:43:36 pm

1) There is a difference between storage temp and operation temp. The minimum storage temperature is usually FAR colder than the operating temp. I would warm it to room temperature for a few hours before attempting operation. This is because the disk spins on fluid bearings that need to maintain an operating temp for viscosity.

2) Debatable. Disks are usually shipped in pallets which greatly reduces movement during overseas shipping. Individual units are packed to withstand a bit of movement and that should be packed in a box with packing peanuts and be pretty ok for domestic shipping.

I would keep an eye on it the first few weeks and monitor the S.M.A.R.T. status for any flags as well.

Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved