ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Blending mode confusion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dec Gallacher
Blending mode confusion
on Jan 5, 2013 at 9:22:19 pm

Hi,

I have an out of focus object which I'm obscuring with a blurry solid, but as the camera moves, an object in the foreground crosses the desired object's path. I'm struggling to blur out the solid adequately while not bleeding into the sharp object in the foreground.

I had the idea of creating an outline of the object in the foreground, probably with another mask, and using this to isolate an area of the blurred solid to stop the bleeding. I really can't suss out which tool (shape? solid? adjustment layer?) I should use, or which blending mode.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Blending mode confusion
on Jan 5, 2013 at 9:39:51 pm

Screenshot? I'm having a bit of a time trying to picture what is going on.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Blending mode confusion
on Jan 5, 2013 at 11:42:36 pm

[Dec Gallacher] "I have an out of focus object which I'm obscuring with a blurry solid, but as the camera moves, an object in the foreground crosses the desired object's path. I'm struggling to blur out the solid adequately while not bleeding into the sharp object in the foreground."

This is a little confusing. You refer to a camera moving, an out of focus object, a blurry solid and a foreground object without ever telling us whether you're talking about real world objects or AE cameras/layers.

Based on the question I'm going to assume that you have a video with the out of focus and sharp foreground objects in it and the blurry solid is the only other AE layer. If that's the case your solution will likely be duplicating your footage, separating the foreground object and placing this copy above the blurry solid.

There are several ways to separate the foreground object from the rest of the shot. You could use masks, try the rotobrush or maybe even key if the foreground object has distinct colors.

The blending mode will be normal.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]