ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D still to 2D Video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Stewart
3D still to 2D Video
on Jan 3, 2013 at 11:06:24 am

I am planning a shot where I take a still from a photo album and fit it to the screen and then let it play as a video.

I have drawn 3 story board slides to show how the motion graphic will work. I hope they help explain what I have planned but they might require some imagination.

The video needs to fill the screen at the end and the image in the photo album needs to be a paused frame from the video.

If any body knows how to go about doing this transition can you please let me know. I'm struggling to work out how it will fit perfectly to the full screen view.

Slide 1

Slide 2

Slide 3

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: 3D still to 2D Video
on Jan 3, 2013 at 2:35:42 pm

If the page is open to start, then this animation will be pretty easy in AE.

First step is to find the place in the video where you want it to freeze for the "picture look" and Time Remap the video(cntl + alt + T). Time Remap automatically creates a start and end keyframe, it's important to keep that in mind when you start adding and moving keyframes that they may need to be adjusted. At the place you where the video freezes add a keyframe and copy it. Go to the beginning of the video and paste over the existing keyframe. Now your video is frozen and unfreezes at the 2nd keyframe. So all you have to do is move the last 2 keyframes to when you want it to unfreeze and start playing normally.

Now you just need to enable 3D for the video layer, open up position and rotation and add keyframes. These will be your ending keyframes. Place these where you want the video to start playing again. Now using rotation & position, move your layer onto the album page.

A few things that might help to sell this will be to use the effect Distort > Bezier Warp, particularly if your album page is a bit curved. You will be able to make it look more like the page if that's the case. Just like before you would use make keyframes for the effect immediately as these will be when the video is straight and then bend it as necessary. Another effect you might add is a CC Light Sweep as the photo goes from frozen to moving video.

I made a simple project, using this weeks free clip from pond5(very compressed). My photo didn't match the album photos exactly so I added a mask that expands as the photo is moving to full screen. As the pages were flat I didn't need to add a bezier warp. So check out the example project, hopefully it gives you a good starting point: 5152_photoalbumfolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jack Stewart
on Jan 4, 2013 at 9:26:19 am

Thank you for your reply. This is exactly what I am after. I really like the full break down of how to do it and the fact that you have included the source files as well for me to see as an example is really helpful. This answers it perfectly. Thank you ever so much for your reply.

Jack

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 4, 2013 at 8:17:46 pm

Happy to help, hope your project turns out well.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]