ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

"Drawing on Film" Animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Smith III"Drawing on Film" Animation
by on Jan 3, 2013 at 5:05:53 am

Hello, this is going to sound very juvenile but I'm at a loss. I have a client requesting a "graffiti" styled animation for a political commercial. I have a lot of different ideas on how to execute this but I'm just wondering what your work flow would be. I don't have much time to complete this so any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

I could only find hip-hop videos as examples:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: "Drawing on Film" Animation
by on Jan 3, 2013 at 4:22:12 pm

Maybe my definition of graffiti is different than yours.

In the video, I didn't see any graphics or symbols that were animated to look as if they were spray-painted on an object. I'm at a loss to know what kind of look you seek.

Can you elaborate on what you're seeing in your mind's eye?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Wayne Smith IIIRe: "Drawing on Film" Animation
by on Jan 4, 2013 at 3:17:48 am

Perhaps I used the wrong terminology. As far as the tracing and overlaying of primitive sketches onto the image, how is this effect achieved. In the first video, the stars and stripes of the flag are outlined by what appears to be scribbled sketches. In the second video, objects in the image are rotoscoped and overlaid with animated designs. The sketches also appear to jump around slightly. If we were editing by hand, we would physically draw these sketches on film strips using markers and or ink. However, since this is all digital, what would be some way I could achieve this almost juvenile and grungy effect.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: "Drawing on Film" Animation
by on Jan 4, 2013 at 4:12:18 pm

There are several ways of achieving this.
Quick way- use a preset from Toonit (Red giant) and masking
A bit more elaborate- Use Find Edges, masking, compositing (transfer) modes and a few other AE native plugins to make the lines wiggle.
Long way but one that will give you the "drawing on film" look for sure is to actually paint the shapes frame by frame like they did in the film days.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved