ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RAM preview slow to start

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim TaylorRAM preview slow to start
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 5:06:38 pm

Hi all.
I've got a 6-core machine with 32GB of RAM. It's pretty speedy at rendering, however I'm finding a lot lately that it takes ages to kick in.

Basically when I'm at the point when I want to preview, I hit numpad 0 and wait. Usually nothing happens for a few seconds. Then maybe after 10 seconds it kicks in. This seems like a lot, sometimes it's actually just quicker to press spacebar, let the little green bar to go all the way along, then numpad 0 again. Silly.

Also, after a while even this stops working, I'll find that I have to wait even longer for it to start, sometimes it doesn't seem to do anything at all. I have to either restart AE or restart my PC.

Does any of this sound weird to you? Might I be doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
K

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: RAM preview slow to start
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 5:27:28 pm

It actually is normal, the RAM preview has to initialize all of your CPU's(I believe this is syncing/dividing the work between each CPU) before the preview can start. If you have your info window open it states exactly what is happening.

I have found that when it stops working/taking to long, I will go to preferences, multiprocessing and turn off the multiprocessing and do a RAM preview. Then after 1 preview I will turn it back on and it will work faster again. I'm not exactly sure why this works, but others here have confirmed that it does on their systems as well.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kim TaylorRe: RAM preview slow to start
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 6:22:17 pm

Nice, that seems to have worked!

I had just been sat here waiting for five minutes for the RAM preview to start, and it clearly wasn't doing anything. The info window says 'rendering frame(MP)' but gets stuck on frame 2.

Checked and unchecked the Multiprocessing checkbox and now it works like a charm again. Annoying to have to use a workaround but at least it provides a temporary solution. Obviously would be better to not have to do this, so I hope Adobe recognizes this issue.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: RAM preview slow to start
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 6:29:39 pm

It's a workaround, but it beats restarting the program and or computer(which is what I was doing before someone on the Cow told me about the preferences). Glad I could help out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: RAM preview slow to start
by on Jan 3, 2013 at 10:58:21 pm

The delay is because the background instances need to start up and then each needs to load the project into memory. If they've already been started once and have the project loaded, they should get to work faster the second time.

If you're finding that they're taking longer to start up the second time, it's probably because your RAM is filled with something that is pushing the projects out of memory, so these contents need to be swapped to disk before the projects can be loaded again.

In such a case, I'd guess that you aren't reserving enough memory for other applications in the Memory & Multiprocessing preferences. Show us a screenshot of that preferences panel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Kim TylerRe: RAM preview slow to start
by on Jan 27, 2013 at 1:03:24 pm

Sorry for the delayed response, just seen your reply.
I have 6GB allocated for other devices, surely this is enough?

Here's a screenshot
http://i.imgur.com/7TBaxPG.png

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: RAM preview slow to start
by on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:51:39 pm

See these articles:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/03/performance-tip-dont-oversched....

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo....

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Kim TylerRe: RAM preview slow to start
by on Feb 4, 2013 at 11:58:09 pm

Thanks Todd, an interesting read. I'll try leaving a core for other applications and seeing if it makes a difference. I would have thought that 6GB for other applications was enough though, right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]